1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable type hydraulic help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Steve NW WI, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI Junior Member

Hi all, new guy here.

I've got an older (91 model) 8 1/2' Western with the cable controls. The pump has been getting weak, it finally got to where it would barely lift the plow, and with a load of snow packed on it, it wasn't coming up.

I got a new pump (PN 49211 in case it matters) and installed it last night as it was getting dark. I may have been in a hurry and missed something, but when I got it all back together, the motor runs but there's no hydraulic flow whatsoever, doesn't even sound like the pump is loading the motor at all.

I've got some experience with hydraulics in general, but none for this particular setup.

My best guess is that either: I missed some crud when cleaning the housing and now it's blocking a port, or the o-ring fell out as I was putting the pump in.

I'm going to tear it back down again and see if I can find anything obvious, but if anyone can lead me to a likely spot to look, that'd be great.

FYI - I do have the Western Mechanics guide downloaded, and THINK I've got everything adjusted correctly.

2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

it sounds like the motor did not engage the pump.

3. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

some older units needed a bushing on the motor shaft to engage the pump.

4. Steve NW WI

I was talking to a friend who has a lot of experience with these plows yesterday, and he's convinced my cables need adjusting. I'm gonna dig into that tomorrow.

I'll report back when I get time to check it out again.

5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

remove the plate over the valves where the cables attach. Move the valve by hand then activate the motor. If cable adjust is the problem it should move for you. If it does not it is not a cable adjustment. I would check on the pump engagement then.

6. Steve NW WI

Thanks again. I pulled the cover off the lift valve today. It was out of adjustment (lever running uphill in neutral). BUT - when I went to adjust it, the set screw snapped off. Tomorrow will be drilling, possibly retapping, and trying again.

It's frustrating, but I think there might be light at the end of the tunnel. Hope it ain't a train!

7. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

once you get it figured out they do work well.

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

It could also be stretched cables. as they stretch they cant move the valve levers.

careful re taping the screw holes. the screws are designed to fit into slits in the cables. you can grind down the tip of the screw you put into it so it will fit into the groove, or tig weld the hole and drill a new one the same size for the same size screw. if you choose the later you should use a technique to pull out impurities, as im told these housings are not very pure metal.

its a good idea to use angle cables for your lift cable instead. gives you some room to adjust via the cable. some shops only sell the angle cables for this reason. may be a good idea if you have to fix the retention screw hole as it might end up moving a little.