1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable Style

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfleming, Nov 16, 2014.

1. jfleming

jfleming Member

My joystick does not seem to center very well. The cable are free and easy moving. No major bends etc to cause issues. I was wondering if the replacing the spring in the base unit will cure this type of issue?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It could be a worn platen or base but the spring is a good place to start.

3. jfleming

jfleming Member

I have replaced the spring and I still have the problem where the lift does not want to return to center and sticks keeping the motor running if you are not paying attention. It seems to center pretty good left to right. I have unhooked the cable and they move very freely, and the lift lever/cam moves very smoothly.

What I notice on the joystick is that it seems as you feel a little knotch when passing center?

4. jfleming

jfleming Member

Any ideas?

5. Craigw

Craigw Junior Member

This happened to me after rebuilding the valves. I suspect the new o rings are tight enough to bind the cables and the spring is just too weak to center it. Happens half the time, and I'm too lazy to tear it apart again. Maybe next summer.
    Could be?

6. jfleming

jfleming Member

what do you think about stretching the spring?

7. Craigw

Craigw Junior Member

Can't hurt. You might be able to get a replacement with more force. Hardware store? I forget exactly what it looks like. Biggest problem with mine is if it runs on it pumps fluid overboard and the plow won't work.