1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable pump won't go down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Sep 2, 2004.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I tried to do a search on this with no success. I've got an old western cable operated plow that won't go down without the weight of the plow. It sat all summer and I had a heck of a time getting the ram down far enough to get the chain disconected. Cable adjustment seems to be okay. Tried to lube the ram seal with penetrating oil, didn't help. Is the packing nut too tight, or does it need to be replaced? I've currently got about 150lbs. of concrete hanging from it, and with me jumping up and down on it, it doesn't even budge and I've run out of ideas and patience. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I've got 3 more of these plows I haven't even looked at since Feb.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

cable problem

It sounds funny but check your left and right adjustment. :waving:

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

NUTS......

The packing nut on the Lift ram is binding the ram if the plow will go down with the plow weight but not with you pushing on it. Make sure to WD-40 or PB blaster the nut before trying to loosen it. A couple of applications with a little tapping of the housing. Best method is a big deep well socket but using a large crescent wrench will do pretty well too. If trying to loosen it with a pipe wrench be careful not to scratch the lift ram.

A pipe is usually necessary on the wrench also.

Jerre

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Good Ideas guys...........

But 1st try.....
    Take off the fill nut (plug) on the top of the pump body. Then try and push the ram down. Could be just too full of fluid ! Watch out....fluid will squirt out !

I had one of those set ups ........ :)

5. bterry

bterry Senior Member

The answer is in here. Most likely it is your check valve. They get gummed up and out of adjustment somehow when sitting for a long time. Believe it or not, I just fixed one last night! Try adjusting the check valve IN.

Get this Western Manual and you'll find the answer.

Good luck.