1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mattpiotrowski, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mattpiotrowski

mattpiotrowski Junior Member

Well last night I went to hook my Western Plow up its a cable plow. I hooked it all up and when i went to raise it it would only raise a inch or 2 then stop i unhooked the lift chain and it raised perfectly fine with out the blade hooked to it. i then readjusted the lift cable and when i went to tighten the set screw it snapped(the guy that had it before me just put little screws in there, not the set screws that should be in there) how do i go about getting that out? and what would cause this to not raise up with a load? Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

either drill and ez out,,,,,weld a little nut over the broken threads and then remove,,
    westerns website,,,conventional plow,,mechanics/owners guide

3. mattpiotrowski

i can weld to the casing of the pump?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. The leftover bolt us metal. You can put a nut over it and weld it. The casting is aluminum fyi

5. daman

daman Member

Is it broke off flush?

if so you'll need to try welding a small nut to it as stated above.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. mattpiotrowski

Yeah its broke out flush. i put a easy out in it and snapped the easy out inside it :( and just my luck the easy out also broke off flush so there is no room to weld anything to it ;(

7. daman

daman Member

The part that this happened in is it replaceable? can you post a pic?

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta be careful of that. Those things are hardened, brittle, and tough to drill. You might be able to drill the EZ-Out with a cobalt drill bit (I recommend a left-hand drill bit, Irwin's Hanson brand offers a reasonably priced set sold at Sears/Amazon/etc).

Are you sure you can't weld to the EZ-Out?

9. daman

daman Member

Usually you cant weld to harden steel.