1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable operated

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cbeard, May 16, 2007.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I am working on a Western cable operated plow. Initally the plow was stuck up and would not angle. I got it to angle and go down however it would not got up then. Now it will sometimes angle and when I raise the plow it will not stay up. Some help on this one will be appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it's an old T handle you need to check the connector in the control box to make sure they are in contact when you use it.

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem open the control cover there could have been water in there. The moving parts might be gummed up.

4. cbeard

cbeard Member

I pulled the 4 way cover off and move the joy stick. It is working fine. I pulled the 3 way cover off and moved the cam using a screwdriver and the blade would angle left and right so that seems to be working fine. However when I try raising the blade the cam will not return to the neutral position on the 3 way valve. Does this mean the cable is broken? I still can't get the blade to lower. What could be my problem.

5. Quality SR

I am not sure about that i would PM B&B he knows alot about the older plows. Good luck

6. robmints

robmints Junior Member
    from MD

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the referral Quality SR :salute: . C beard, Disconnect the lift/lower cable at the lever in the pump housing and manually move the lever to the drop position.(be careful as the blade will probably drop) If it drops then you either have a cable that's broken or the inner cable is sticking in the cable sheath or the cable is just out of adjustment and needs replaced. Many times the cable will move but it won't have enough travel to actually move the valve. Hope this helps.

8. Quality SR

I know you know your stuff.
    Thanks Rich

9. cbeard

cbeard Member

B&B how much travel should the the lift lower valve have. I used a screwdriver to move the valve and the plow will not drop. What next? Quality SR thanks for contacting B&B
    Chris

10. Quality SR

No problem. He is good at this stuff. Good luck

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

cbeared, when you moved the lever with the screwdriver, did you first disconnect the cable? Just checking, as the lever wont travel as far with the cable still connected. I included a pic to help you. If you look at it you can see that the lever should travel about 5/16 of an inch from the neutral position. Does yours?

3 way valve.jpg

12. cbeard

cbeard Member

B&B I think I see the ploblem. The valve is going up but not down. For lack of a proper term. The cam rotates clockwise but not counter clockwise. When I return it to the neutral position the angle works. Thanks for the info.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help cbeard. I know how a little info or a pic can really help in a problem solving situation.:)

14. cbeard

cbeard Member

B&B
    The guy that owned the plow took it to a Western dealer. They told him they replaced the cable and a valve @ $147.00. He told me the tech adjusted the plow and it still lowers fast. The tech told him that was all he could do, that the plow pump was obselete and worn. What do you think?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So its working correctly as far as it will lift/lower and angle in both directions ok, but now it just lowers too fast?

16. cbeard

cbeard Member

Thats correct everything works. The Western plow Tech told him he adjusted all he could adjust.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can adjust the drop speed of the blade by adjusting the check valve on the rear of the pump. Look on the rear of the pump on the same side that the cables connect too. You will see an Allen head set screw thats held in position with a large jam nut. To set the drop speed, first loosen the jam nut no more than a 1/4 turn. Then turn the allen head screw about a 1/4 turn counter clockwise and re-tighten the jam nut. Now check the drop speed again and see how you like it. You can continue to turn the allen screw until you get the drop speed you want but if you turn it too far out it can affect the raise speed so don't turn it more than nessesary.