1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable operated sudden death

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mohawkmike82, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

Hi guys got an old cable operated western that worked like a dream last weak when I parked it. Went out to go get a pizza and make sure it was ready for snow and motor runs but plow will not raise or angle in either direction, but the blade will drop from a raised position normally. Fluid is topped. Havent checked pump screen yet but thats probably my next step unless anyone else has any suggestions.
  2. Check inside the cable and linkage housing where the cables enter. You should pack those boxes with grease. They may be stuck.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

When you open the cable box...take the cables off and move the levers by hand and see if the blade moves then. DO NOT stand under the blade when doing this.
  4. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

Pulled the motor off and my fluid was icy. Found big clumps of ice down by the pump screen. I sucked all of the old fluid out and chiseled out the ice and topped it off with fresh stuff and i'm back in business.