1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable operated question (re: raising the plow)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dneiding, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dneiding

dneiding Member

I plowed for the first time with my “new” 85 Chevy K20 with a 7.5 Western cable operated plow. There was barley 2” of snow (very wet). Here’s the problem, after plowing a row I would get to the end, with a big pile of snow in front of the plow of course. When I’d go to raise the plow the motor would run but it would not raise. If I put the trunk in reverse and back up just a few inches it would raise just fine. It was as if it couldn’t overcome the weight of a little bit of snow piled in front of it.

Over the summer I replaced the both cables, put a new filter and changed the fluid. Any ideas? Could the motor be too weak?

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

were you plowing into soft ground and digging in?
  3. dneiding

dneiding Member

Maybe once or twice but much of the lot I was plowing has curbs around it so I know for sure I was stopping on solid concrete.
  4. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

cables or lift valve out of adjustment
  5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

how fast will it go up with no snow in front of it if it aint fast your cable needs adjusting should be 2 sec