1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable operated pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by speedracer241, Oct 5, 2003.

1. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Well I am finally getting the plow put on my "new" 1 ton Dodge.

Got all the mounting brackets built and everything wired up today. My problem is, the ram only goes up a little bit. It works fine without the plow chain attached, goes up and down just fine. Hook up the chain and it only goes up a couple inches and then seems like it hits a pressure release. The motor continues to spin but won't build pressure.

I did a drain and flush today and refilled it with new GM Dextron 3. I tried to bleed out any air, manually raising and lowering the lift arm. Got a couple pretty big burps.

Could I possibly have a bunch of air trapped. Could it possibly be because the truck and plow it isn't sitting level. Where it is sitting is a pretty good slope.

I did a search here and couldn't find anything else but to try to bleed it. Westerns mechanics guide would not open up for me, been having problems since the wife updated Windows.

Any thoughts,
    Mark K
  2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Mark, FIrst thing to check is the cable adjustment. Pull the upper cover off and check that the cam is going all the way down. You can disonnect the cable and have someone move the control to run the motor while you manually move the cam.

Next thing is pump pressure. Need about 1500 psi for normal operation. Put a guage on the angle hose or the test port inside the upper cover and check the pressure. Jerre
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Just to follow up here

I got the thing to go up and down:redbounce

The screw that holds the valve lever was really loose. I replaced that screw and added a "star" lock washer and tightened everything up.

I then had the valve backward, don't ask me how that happened. Think it had something to do with working in the dark.
    Got that turned around and all re-adjusted and it works.

Thanks Jerre for pointing me in the right direction, :drinkup: my low cost Western setup was looking pretty grim for a minute.

Thanks again Jerre, you are a great asset to this site.
    Mark K
  4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Replace the whole thing with a Fenner from EBAY for $325, and you will need a lift cylinder.

It's also faster than your pump.

I got one from him on ebay, and emailed him to sell me another.

Bukyspacks is the seller