1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable op Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by blackbear10, Jan 27, 2012.

1. blackbear10

blackbear10 Junior Member

Hello,
    I have an old western cable operated plow and it was working great until it decided not to angle to the right. It seems to try but that's it. It stays angled all the way to the left. I went through the trouble shooting guide and nothing helps. up down works fine. Like I said it happened all of a sudden. Worked good one minute and then nothing. Cables are also good. Can anyone help?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you need to gently adjust the angle cable. loosen the jam nut and turn the cable a little bit and adjust it until it will angle right.

3. blackbear10

did that. any other ideas?

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

any leaks? or moisture. put your truck in a heated shop for a day (DO NOT LEAVE PLOW UP IN WARMTH). if that fixes it you knwo you have moisture in the system somewhere.

take the cable off and move the angle control manualy with your finger and see if it will work. that will tell you if your valve is working or if it is a cable throw issue.

5. blackbear10

good idea. thanks.

6. blackbear10

it moves. Oil level ok. Adjusted cable from one extreme to the other and all I get is to the left. any more ideas?

7. birddseedd

if you moved the cable adjustment from one extreme to the other then you should not get any left. did you try moving the valve with your finger rather than the cable control? sounds like it could be a stuck valve. did you warm it up in a shop?

8. blackbear10

I got no left at one extreme. I have no place to put it to warm up.

9. birddseedd

interesting. adjust to one extreme and you angle left, go to other extreme and does not angel right.

correct?

10. blackbear10

correct. I took the line loose on the passenger side and manually pushed the plow totally right and put together again. then pushed lever right and it seemed to fill ram so it stays to the right. I will finish plowing and then work on it some more.

11. birddseedd

im sorry. i think you misunderstood me. i mean take the cover off of where the cable hooks to the valve. remove cable. and move the valve up and down to see what happens.

but, i do have a bit of a question. im a little confused. you you removed the tube from the pump to cylendar and angled the plow yourself pushing the blade?. where did you remove it. from the pump. unscrewed it from the cylender, or removed a quick disconnect?

12. blackbear10

took one end off the quick connect.

13. birddseedd

when you moved the plow, did you hold in the end of the quick disconnect?

reason i ask is because if there is fluid in the clyendar, and you unhook it, then the presure will be held in teh cylendar and a human being wont be able to push the clyendar in or out. unless there is a serious leak in the cylendar

this might be the cause of your issues. if the pump extends the cylendar, its pushign fluid into it. do this with the pump, then unhook the disconnect, do not push in the knob in the tip of the disconnect and see if you are able to push the cylendar back in. if you can theres either no fluid in it, or theres a serious leak.

14. blackbear10

No, i took the ends right off the hoses. I also took the connects off and brought them in the house to check them out. They are new only a couple months old. They are fine. I used the plow and it is staying to the right. I don't want to move to the left and have to go through the hassle to get it back to the right.

15. birddseedd

were you able to take off the cover from where the angle controls hook up to the valve and move it manual to see what happens? (make sure your control stick is locked as the lift needs to be in the center of its throw)

16. blackbear10

I had the cover off and had my wife move the stick. It all seems fine but it won't go right.

17. birddseedd

if you take off the cable and move it with your fingers you can get a bigger throw and it can give some insight into what is going on. can help point out valve issues.

18. blackbear10

OK, i will give it a try tomorrow.