1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable mount drops slow and easy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Beater_K20, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

i've been noticing that since i put the plow on my 80 last year, it doesnt drop as fast or as hard as it had in the past on my 77. its an old Western cable actuated system. it seems to leave a bit of a layer of snow on the road and driveway (i plow a "private drive" dead end road). when i used to hit the release, the plow would come down with a good thump, now its considerably less. i've also noticed that when taking the plow off, getting the cylinder to retract all the way takes considerably more force than it used to, at some points requiring me to stand on top of the blade and put as much weight on it to get the lift arm to drop far enough. its got a brand new motor and pump 2 years ago, and last year i had some problems with running hydraulic jack oil on a bad recomendation. currently running ATF in it.

the new truck does sit considerably higher, though the angle of the A frame still looks pretty decent.

anybody got any ideas?
  2. dw68

dw68 Junior Member
    from il

check out your pump filter,change your fluid ( i use western hydralic fluid ). check your packing nut it might be too tight. if that dont work go to western web site. i havent work on a cable plow for along time so i hope this helps
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i dont see what the problem is here i wish all my trucks would go down slow and not slam
  4. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

well, i know my pump is good, since i just replaced it 2 years ago along with the motor, the filter was replaced last year, about February. maybe its time to bring out the backup powerpack and go through it. then i'll install the new motor and pump in the freshly gone though powerpack. looking at the Western schematics, looks like i may have a problem in the shuttle stem/check valve area, or a blockage of some sort in the fluid passages.

i'll check the packing nut too the next time i get the truck out.
  5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

also, is it possible for the packing nut to tighten up on its own? i've never touched it, but it used to work just fine.
  6. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Make sure the cable is adjusted right as well. It may be that it isn't quite releasing the valve enough.
  7. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

bingo rase your plow tern it all the way 2 the right.
    now go out 2 the pump and take the square plat off.
    Take the cable off and push the lever up she will come down like a ton of bricks
  8. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

IIRC i've got a set screw that fits into a groove on the cable housing making it non-adjustable.