1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cable Conventional Plow issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chillman88, Dec 16, 2013.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

Plow was working fine a month or so ago when I used it. Yesterday morning I got the blade on, lifted it, backed up, put it down, pushed, tried to lift it but nothing. Wouldn't angle or lift. Motor is turning. It was low on fluid (it has had a small leak near the 4-way valve) I topped the fluid off (about 1/2qt) and still nothing, no angle or anything. :(

The motor still runs. I have not yet pulled it apart, I plan on waiting until tomorrow when it should be a tad warmer. I'm "HOPING" the filter screen is just plugged. The plan is to drain all the old fluid, clean the filter, replace the o-rings, fill it up with new fluid and cross my fingers.

It won't hold it's angle either, but i'm thinking maybe there's air in the lines (because of the leak), air being significantly more compressible than hydraulic fluid. I don't have a hydraulic pressure gauge to test (I'll buy one if I end up needing it) but I'm not going to mess with the cushion valves until I know the pump is okay. I don't think I'll be able to adjust the cushion valves without drilling them out anyway, I think they are seized up.

Does anyone have any Ideas other than the pump being clogged or bad? I know the pump comes apart, is there a rebuild kit or would i HAVE to buy a new pump, the cheapest one I can find is about $150. :eek:

Lastly, I want to replace the filter either way. I see two different filter styles. The one I have is a screw on filter (cleaned it up last year) I see a suction filter that looks the same (cylinder, probably 1/2"x1" or so) and I also see Part Number 66763, which looks like a pleated filter, does this one work with my old cable actuated plow or do I need to use the cylindrical filter? The plow was removed from an '89 Chevy and I have no clue how old it is, but I had to replace the motor last winter (it has the new style motor).

Sorry for writing a novel, but I figure the more details the better! It's no fun plowing a parking lot with a plow that won't angle or lift!