1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable controlled plow problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by djpullen, Dec 6, 2005.

1. djpullen

djpullen Junior Member
    from Indiana

I just got a used western plow for my truck. I've got everything hooked up. It goes up and down great and I got it to go left but now I can't get it to go right. When I try angling it to the right, the pump comes on. It acts as though it is binding. Is this problem in the 4 way valve or is it more likely the cylinders are binding. Thanks, Darren

2. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

man i haven't worked on a cable one in a long time but here goes. it' not usually the cylinders. pull the cover off the unit and see if the end of the cable is moving . if its not it's broken or came off on the handle end. if thats ok sometimes the quick disconects aren't completely togther and won't allow the plow to move. on our canble units we would pull the covers at the cable ends on the plow unit and fiill them full of grease. that kept the water out which would freeze up the cable ends

3. djpullen

djpullen Junior Member
    from Indiana

The control cables are good and the hoses are in all the way. I double checked the hoses and it took a lot of force to get the hose into the retracted cylinder so it seems as though I'm getting hydraulic pressure to the side that won't move. I'm wondering if it could have air trapped in it. I'll work on it more tonight and see what I come up with.

4. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

air in the cylinder wouldn't be the problem. it might be the cylinder but i doubt it. try the unit first pull the couplers off the unit hoses stick them in a bucket have some angle it and see if the oil comes out correctly . if thats ok try it manualy. hookup the hose from one cylinder to the other cylinder and try to force the plow to move. they usually stick alittle when fully angled but they will move with a good tug or a large pry bar. if it doesn't move pull the quick connectors off the cylinders and try again watch out the oil will really fly if it moves. you might have a bent or stuck cylinder but i doubt it the hydraulics will even move a badly bent one. i betting on a bad coupler. but you never know. randy

5. djpullen

djpullen Junior Member
    from Indiana

I hooked the plow back up today and unhooked the extended cylinder and straightened the plow out by hand. I then tried the lever again and it worked. The cushion valve might have been sticking a little from sitting so long. I think it is more frustrating when something starts working and you really don't know why. It moves reallys quick and I drove about 15 miles and it didn't drop on me at all. Hopefully I won't have to do any more work to it for awhile. Thanks for your help. Darren