1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable controll will not move in any direction. help?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GSS LLC, Mar 13, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

My guy was plowing monday morning, when all of a sudden the plow wouldnt move any more. not up down left or right. it was stuck up. the motor would kick on, but it was acting like the plow was fully angled and you were trying to keep going, i.e. plows angled to the left and you try to angle it more, it just wont go any farther.

after taking a plug out of the bottom of the housing, the plow came down. and now, after doing that, the gasket in between the pump body and the lower bolt hole pieces is leaking.

what could be wrong here???

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Maybe broke a cable. Pull covers off of the valves on the pump where the cables go in and check for movement.

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

First, you'll have to change the o ring in between the mounting lug and the pump housing to fix the leak. Next, check your lift cable and lift valve. Operate the valve by hand once you disconnect the cable from the valve when you remove the cover where the cable goes into the valve housing. If the plow lifts and lowers while you are operating by hand the cable is done for. If it still doesn't work, you'll have to get into the valve and find the problem. The lift / check valve that screws into the housing from behind may be your problem, but it sounds like the cable to me. If you go to western's website, there is a mechanics guide that will walk you through the troubleshooting as well as enough illustrations to fix about anything that goes wrong with the plow. It can be downloaded as a pdf file and is worth keeping on your computer for instances like this. Good Luck!

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

thanks. it doesnt move left or right. but if the lift cable is broken, that would cause that too right? off to westerns site.

5. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Sorry, I misread your post. The valves and cables are usually the culprit for function problems. The angle valve and cable where you should zero in on unless the plow won't lower by using the control. I'd be willing to bet the cable is messed up or else the valve. Make sure your adjustment on the angle cable isn't messed up. There is a lock screw that holds the cable in the pump housing. If that is loose/ broken the cable sheath will move in and out of the housing instead of the cable moving to operate the valve itself.

6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

well, after getting sleep for the first time in 3 days, it came clear to me. replaced the cable, put a new oring on the bottom mount and the truck is ready for next year...

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

now follow me to the boss forum to figure out the next problem. lol

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Glad to hear at least one problem is fixed!