1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable control joy stick

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by brkaiser, Jul 9, 2013.

1. brkaiser

brkaiser Junior Member

A friend of mine has asked me to repair his snow plow for him after it was taken apart. I have had to replace the control valve an the cables, now I am in the process of putting the control back together but I cannot get the ball and socket to line up. I'm not sure if I have the wrong parts or what. Please take a look at the attached pictures and advise . . . I would greatly appreciate the help.

IMG-20130629-00014.jpg

IMG-20130629-00015.jpg

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You should be able to rotate the socket onto the ball with pliers. The socket is the end of the cable correct?

3. brkaiser

brkaiser Junior Member

Re:

Yes, the socket is the end of the cable. There is no way to force the socket over that far to fit over the ball. There appears to be about 3/8" misalignment and I can't see how to correct that unless there is some other end that needs to go on the cable.

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It looks different then the western cable joysticks that I have worked on. Can you take the cable out and rotate it in the casing? Not sure if that would help or not. Good luck.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that looks really odd. not a normal Western cable control. got anymore pics?

6. brkaiser

brkaiser Junior Member

I thought it was a Western cable control, possibly not, it is a western plow. The entire system was purchased from Central Parts Warehouse and unfortunately they have not been any help what so ever. If anyone can tell me the Mfg. I will contact them for additional help with this.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

oh wait! I do know what that is. It's not a Western style control at all. It's a lever control for control cables for a unit with a valve bank, like a dump truck. If you google 206305 dual axis control, you'll see the type control. CPW would be selling probably the Buyers Products one. Buyers is a company that copies other mfr's parts, so it's a copy of like a Gresen or something.
    I would think that control cable could just rotate, but I'm a parts guy, not a mechanic. :)