1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable control are they any good

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rudyk, Sep 22, 2013.

1. rudyk

rudyk Junior Member

Are western cable control plows worth getting for a backup truck, are parts still available.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

IMOA they were the most trouble free and easiest setups to work on! As far as parts being available I believe they still are.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They are. Only issue is keeping the pump and headgear on the tk all the time

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I would take mine off at the end of the season and then reinstall next season. Yea its alot to do but once you do it a few times its not too bad.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

most parts that you would need to fix one should still be available, but no mounts or any parts for any of the mounts are available anymore.
    and yea, there's still a lot of those plows around, even though they are at least 25 years old now.

6. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I had 20 plus trouble free years with mine.But I serviced it every year.I kept it in case I want to put it on my tractor.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i still run one today. some buddies laugh at the ancient technology. many of those buddies have been bailed out by my plow when their's have failed...

if something does go wrong, its usually a very simple fix and easily repaired in the field. another benefit is that no one wants them anymore, so complete pumps can be had for like $50.

8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

The biggest issue I seen was the set screw hollding the cablle in pllace.

9. rudyk

rudyk Junior Member

thanks any other advice

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yea that was definitely a issue. And sealing the cables so water wouldn't get in the valve housing and freeze!

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Yea, for the set screws we always use the ones from Western instead of the regular ones out of our setscrew drawer, because they have a pointier end. Or, the other problem is when the housing gets broken off where the setscrew goes in. That's a bigger problem.
    For keeping water out, there is an o-ring on the housing of the cable, but we also liked to fill the cavity under the cover with grease. Takes up the space so there's nowhere for water to get.