1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western cable adjustment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MLB, Feb 26, 2003.

1. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Is a cable adjustment just loosening the nut locking the cable down (under the cover as shown on the service manual) and pushing more through or pulling some back and tightening the nut back?
    Mine had been resisting dropping or going slowly so I've learned about adjusting the 3 and 4 way valves. But now during this past storm it started doing it going up as well. (both up and down are now slow, sometimes won't raise to the full height unless I angle it right or left then up again.
    Since the valve adjustment just shifts the flow, (to speed up the drop you are slowing the raise) it would seem that it must be a cable adjustment?
  2. mpflood

mpflood Member

drain all fluid in a garage and refill
    ive tried to adjust that cable on my old unit and always ended up making it worse.does it leak around the main packing nut?
    i think it is fkuid related if started acting up recently.
    could have moisture in there too. gl,mike
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

do a search, it has been discussed over and over.
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Cable Adjustment

Mbl: There is no cable adjustment for the 3 way valve which is the one that controls lift and lower. The set screws only retain the cables into the housing. Those adjustments are done by adjusting the valves themselves, both lift and lowering located on the front and rear of the housing. I would remove the rectangular cover and check and see if the lever that the cable attaches to has come loose. This could cause the problems that you have described. Also check and see if there is any play in the joy stick its self, as you could also be not getting enough throw to fully operate the valves if the lever is loose in the controller. :rolleyes: John