1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western cable actuated pump problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MrPlow705, Feb 9, 2015.

1. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

With the joystick locked in the neutral position, as soon as i connect the positive to power, the pump begins to run and begins to lift the plow. I followed the wiring schematic for setting up the system and am using the proper solenoid/relay. The pump will not shut off no matter what i do with the joystick. Down, left and right work as they should, as does up. Just the pump wont turn off.

Looking for some ideas on what might be causing this.

Thanks guys

- Frustrated plower guy

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Bad solenoid or bad control. Assuming you do have it wired correctly. Take signal wire off the solenoid, does motor still run? If yes replace solenoid. No, something wrong with control or wiring.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cable adjustment.
  4. MrPlow705

MrPlow705 Junior Member
    from Sudbury

Thank you! What wire do you mean by "signal wire"?

Could a bad ground cause this?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Should be a wire from control that goes to the solenoid. That is the signal wire. I don't think a bad ground is your problem. But These pumps are not one of strong points. I know enough to get myself in trouble.
  6. LakeCountySnow

LakeCountySnow Junior Member

The signal cable could be shorted too ground going through the firewall of the truck. Its the second solenoid stud mounted in the engine compartment. There are two small studs one is that ground and the other is the pos feed that jumps back up the the large power terminal.