1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Cab Comand Trouble...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Todd, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I'm glad that this problem came up now inatead of during the middle of a blizzard...

One of our sub-contractors, a little too giddy about the prospects of snow accumulation later this week, decided to put his plow on his truck and drive around. When he went to leave work tonight, he could not get his plow to operate. Naturally, he called me up and I went out to take a look at it. I traced the problem to a blown fuse in the power lead to the controler which is one of the hand held "cab comand" units for the Western plows. I replaced the fuse and it worked, but when you press the button for any given direction (especially up or angle right) the motor keeps running until you push the opposite button (ie: angle left or down). This tells me that either there must be a short in the controler itself, or the solinoid is bad.

Any thoughts???:confused:

I have used the old style Western joystick controler on my plows since they came out and I've had one stop working completely before, but never anything like this.

2. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i would change the solinoid .it is most likely that. if not it always good to have a spare around. good luck

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Change the solenoid. I had this happen last year on one of our trucks. When it finally crapped out the whole truck died and it took the driver a few minutes to get going again. Once I swapped out the solenoid we were back on the road. I now carry spares in each truck.

-John

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Solenoid

I agree, change the solenoid, I have had a lot of problems with the contacts sticking causing the motors to keep running. My only concern is that you said it would stop running after you selected a differant mode and that it blew the fuse. I have never seen a fuse blow because of a bad solenoid, but there's always a first time. I also keep a test controller around just to verify that was the problem. Don't forget to get more spare fuses too. John

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TODD....How old is that western ? They have a 2 winter
    warranty. If under warranty take it to the dealer..We are
    expecting snow later this week in Northern NY. My rig is
    ready to ROCK! Good luck and carry those spare parts !
    .............geo

6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I don't think the warranty covers the solenoid though. While it would be nice, they're still cheap enough that it makes sense to keep a few on hand.

-John