1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western, buy my tornado back from me cause its JUNK

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by all ferris, Jan 12, 2011.

1. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Once again the spinner motor broke on my Tornado spreader. The shaft sheered off at the bottom of the motor just like the last 4 motors. So I am now on the 5th motor and its one I had to weld the shaft back on because my dealer said he couldn't get any motors right now cause they are out. The spreader is well within the 2 winter warranty and all Westen has to say when I call their tech line is "we are doing some testing on that". I am done with DD products cause they are costing me way too much lost revenue because of down time. Do not buy a western tornado (or the other fisher/blizzard) cause they are junk.
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I would love to see some pics of where it is breaking. Seems strange that it has happened so many times. I wonder if there is something that might be causing it.
  3. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I've run about 90 tons of salt through my 1.5 tornado since I bought it November '09 and about 15 tons through my new 2.5 i bought in October this year and I've never experienced any sort of problem with either...(knock on wood). Thats crazy going through that many motors but I guess it's like anything else with a few bad ones in the bunch. Weird =/
  4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

There is a tsb on the spinner motor problem, your dealer should take care of this under warranty
  5. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

i just bought a 2.5 yard unit this season and have run over 100 yards through so far and havent had any issues.
  6. shovelracer

I sheared a shaft on mine. The mfg claim is that the belt tension is the cause. It was determined that mine was within recommended specs. I suspect that the little 1/4" shaft can not take the stress of repeated on/ off cycles with heavy loads on it. I would like to see a mfg upgrade with a considerably larger shaft regardless.
  7. badnewss10

badnewss10 Junior Member

on our second season now fifth motor in place.
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Mines on it's 3rd season with over 250 ton through it, motor was seized in the fall when I pulled it out of storage, Western stepped up and compted me a new motor, harness and control mod (dealer fried it when testing motor). Nothing but good stuff to say about my Western Tornado and their reps. I've put another 60ton through it since the repair without issue.
  9. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

1/4" shaft? Really?

10. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

is this the first gen with the rubber belt or the new one with the drag chain???
  11. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Its the 2nd gen and western finally replaced a bunch of parts on it and it seems to be working so far. They wanted to replace the entire rear spinner assembly but when we tried to put the new one on it would not fit (go figure). Appears that they redesigned the plastic housing that the motor and spinner is in and when we tried to put it on it hit the gear box. So they ended up taking the "guts" out of the new housing and putting them in my old housing. I spread about 30 ton through it since then and had no problems. This thing better not break again or I might have to physically drive to DD and drop it through their front door. They have cost me lots of money in down time:realmad:
  12. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

I agree 100%
  13. shovelracer

OK I never measured it, it could be 5/16". Either way Ive seen shafts twice the size on much cheaper TGS's.
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Gotcha. 1/4" just sounded unbelievably thin (which apparently is the problem, LOL).