1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western,Blizzard,Fisher Wide Outs

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TAZPUSHER, Jan 27, 2010.

1. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Am Thinking of getting a Wide Out plow....These are the only three and made by the same company....Anybody using them and which one would be better? It seems they all have their little problems

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Having had it less than a week and only getting 2" of snow since then, I can't give you a fair and honest assessment, but I like my pre-DD 810 and so does my buddy who has a new WO.

:drinkup:

Try HERE.

3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I too just recently purchased a western wideout after 15 years of only running western straight blades a new blade every 5 years I can truely say I love the wideout. After only using it 3 times so far on lighter snows so far < less than 3 inches the fact you can go to 10 ft wide and 9 ft scoop I have cut my plowing time on each property by 5 -15 minutes and my total route time by almost 90 minutes. I love this blade and wish I had purchased one last year.
    The hydro's are fast and stacking snow is alot easier, I am still getting use to the handheld controller alot of buttons but the blade has more than proven itself thus
    Great Product Western
    I have heard that some people are wearing out the polly rubber wing edge's fast and some say they arent so I look forward to see how I do. I understand that Jerre Products http://www.jerres.com/index.html makes some cutting edges that last for the wideouts a bit costly from what I heard
    Well best of luck in your decision:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Those are worth every penny. Jerre (and his brother Thomas) are great guys to deal with, in fact, I just had a long conversation with Jer again yesterday. :D

He's the best thing that happened to the Snowplowing Industry since hydraulics and enclosed operator stations.

5. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

Wideouts / XLS's look wicked I'm also concerned about the plastic cutting edge on the wings. They look kinda flimsy.

My friend has 2 western wideout for 2 years now.
    He swears by them BUT he blows quite a few hydraulic hoses!!
    Anyone else have similar problems???

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

I've been running mostly Boss plows...Have 3- 9' straight, 2- 8' straight with wings,2-9'2 vees,3-8'6 vees, 1- 860 blizzard speed wing.....am thinking of changing most over to Wide Outs...don't know if it would be worth the money to do so...We've had around 30" of snow fall so far.this season, below average...Have posibility of picking up some more lots..Kind of want to know if Wide Outs would speed things up...Let me know what you think...Thanks

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yes, power wing plows will greatly streamline your route. I have to ask though, if you are already running an 860SW, why not explore the Blizzard line? Switching from Boss (direct lift) to Western (chain lift) may leave you disappointed....

I notice a night and day difference between the chain lift Western and direct lift Blizzard. It rides better too. ;)

8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

would i be able to mount a wideout on my 95 chevy 1 ton with suspension upgrades or is it still to much? thanks

9. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

evan
    should be no problem the wideout are about 80 pounds light than a western mvp vee plow and I have mine on a 08 ram 2500 and it doesnt drag the front end down maybe 2 inches at the most get a wideout youll love it

10. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

I am looking at Blizzard too...We like the Speed Wing so far..First winter with it..Have noticed rust through paint even tho they're kept inside and wash after each use..that's why I was looking at Western/Fisher

11. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

Really I never realized they had a different lift system! Is blizzard and boss the only two companys that use direct lift system.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

No, there are others. Hiniker and SnowWay are two others that come to mind.

13. Silverado_guy07

Silverado_guy07 Member

what are the pros and cons for direct lift?
    What are the pro and cons of a chan lift?

14. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Will the western/fisher chain lifts work faster since the pumps are up off the plow? I've noticed my blizzard is slower than my boss plows, which I think with the blizzard pump sitting on the A frame making it heaver to lift...

15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The speedwing just has a smaller pump. You can upgrade the speedwing to the 8611 full size pump. I did that to my 810 and made a big difference. The other thing is the Blizzards had bigger cylinders then some other plows. Like I said before though with that much truck behind it I think you will destroy a wideout. I would seriously look at the full size 8611. Plus wider is better.

16. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

Are wideouts a ultramount or unimount? western dosent recommend a wideout for a 95 k3500 but if it can be done without any rigging of parts i wouldn't feel bad about doing it.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They are UltraMount.