1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western, Bad Pump?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JeepPlow18, Nov 22, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

When I finally took the plow back to the place I get it serviced they made some adjustments. They then tell me that its drawing to much amps, I agree because it was dropping to 9 or 10 almost totally dead. After messing with the pump and motor, he said your ok for now but if it gets worst then you should get a new pump for $225. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance Mike. O and I almost forgot brand new battery 800 amps.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump?

are you talking about the electric motor or the internal hydraulic pump ,sounds like the motor ,how many amps is it drawing ,is the alternator and battery able to recover after functioning the plow a couple of times ? have you had a charging system performance test run ?

3. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

there are motors and pumps on ebay

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

What type of plow? Conv? Uni? Ultra? depending on what it is.. It could be as simple as the internal pump or the filter. Either one, you can do cheaper by yourself. A new pump itself for the uni's runs about $140 online.

5. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

It is a uni-mount and it just had the full service done. but then it acted weird so I took it back and that is when they said it time for a new pump. I said thanks for letting me know when it was in for its SERVICE!!! and the alternator recovers and the battery it back up to power, it just really strains when im lifting it, not so much angling it. thanks Mike.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3 things on the pump...

1) If it will produce the 1800 psi pressure setting it should be set at....
    2) If you can turn the pump shaft by hand with just a little effort...
    3) If the filters not plugged up....

then there's nothing wrong with the pump...

If it's straining to lift, then it's the motor that's weak and drawing all the power, not the pump itself. Now it could also be a poor connection between the motor and the battery so double check those too...don't assume that the dealer already did it.

The Uni motors are notorious for corroding inside and between the motor and the housing....and with corrosion, use, and age, will do the things your describing.

Most plow motors will pull about 200-250 amp. I've seen worn/corroded one pull over 400!

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

not a given but usually they will angle before they will lift if pressure is down .

8. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks guys I will check these things out. Mike