1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western backdrag edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by spence700, Dec 25, 2009.

1. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

i have a 98 chevy 1500 with 7'6" unimount. I need a new cutting edge but im thinkin of puttin on a backdrag edge also. Im wondering how good they work and if its worth spending the extra money. I do a fair amount of backdraging and wonder how much better it would be if any at all. Any info would be great, thanks

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

WELL worth the money, get one!

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

They work phenomenal, and don't let anyone tell you different. I have one on a 7.5 straight blade, and most of the time I can backdrag the entire length of a drive down to clean pavement (within reason) without glazing and buildup. One trick is to keep the blade just slightly angled one way or the other and it seems to cut and slice better.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I pick up a new blade from Angelo's and use my old blade for a back blade

5. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

I always keep the blade angled just a little, but i try everything i know to clean driveways, and i still leave about an inch on the pavement. most of the time i push it foward then pull it back but that takes to much time to get it clean. And time is money when plowing, when you work for yourself.

6. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

how do you use your old blade?

7. twinman326

8. Clevername

Clevername Member
    from Indiana

So what are you doing with the "old blade .

Are you manufacturing the hinges they descride yourself, welding them to the old blade and using that?

9. twinman326

If your going to back blade, and your at the spot you want to back blade, put the plow in float, and go backward..If you don't want to back blade, when you drop the blade and go forward, the back blade swings out of the way.

Yes, if you read the information on that site, it will explain it to you..The hinge it self get welded to the blade..The mounts are bolt to the plow. Just make sure the (back blade) is angle like they show on the site..Some like it and some don't..Use your own discretion !

10. TLB

TLB Senior Member

11. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

the back blade from western are crap, the plow rides up over the snow and packs it down, had one, used it twice then got rid of it.

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I run one on my blades worth the $80-100 bucks foresure!!! maybe even cheaper in the USA??????

13. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I have them on both of my plows and they work great. Another cheaper way to do it is buy a peice of mild steel and have your local metal shop bend it for you then all you have to do is drill out the holes, and its about half the price of a blade from the dealer.

14. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

another happy user here....on wet snow, too.

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Junk... IMO. Save the money. They don't cut like I would have expected and they get hung up on the back side of curbs if there is a lip.

16. sflem849

sflem849 Member

Philbilly - What are you using on your snowflap so it doesn't blow up? I HATE THAT PROBLEM!!!

17. GLHVAC

GLHVAC Junior Member

Its worth it they work great for me.

18. twinman326

If you know a scrap yard, see if they have and old machine belt (crusher belts) laying around. Cut it 24' wide and to the length of your plow, and bolt it on the top of the rim.. Sometimes they give them away from free..

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

1" thick strips of rubber

20. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

They do get hung up on the back sides of curbs thats the only problem I have with the back drag edge.