1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Back Drag?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Thelawnscaper, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about a backdrag blade for a Western? Im trying to see if any welders will do it, but does anyone know anything about putting them on Western plows? Heres a pick of the plow its going on which is a 7.5' Western Poly.

lawnscapertruck2.jpg

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

never used a back drag edge but i remember people saying in another thread that they don't help anything:(

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I disagree someone here I don't remember who (sorry) gave me a welders name that built one for my blade 7'6" fisher. And I'll tell ya what saves a s**t load of time scrapes right down in reverse as if you were going forward!! great investment

4. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

Hey "harley hauler" got a pic of your setup? the back blade?

Thanks
    Jeff

5. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I'm ready to have my friend help me weld one. I think they'd be great, too. I'm doing residential only. Do you have pics on anyone that has done this type of setup.
    Pete

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I am wanting to do the same thing. I have an old wearbar, that is still in pretty good shape, with quite a bit of life left on it. I was wanting to attach it to my new wearbar, but am not sure if I can weld on the steel I was wondering if perhaps I could use missile rod to do this. The only other option would be to fabricate another piece of steel the length of the plow, and have it openly bent to about 140 degrees (like about a 4 o'clock position- however it will be beyond that, because of the angle of the bottom of the moldboard, so the whole thing will be pivoted clockwise just a bit, as you are looking at it from the driver's side of the plow.), weld THAT to the moldboard itself, and bolt the old wearbar to that.
    Another thing to consider, is that the backdrag bar REALLY doesn't need to be hardened, since it is protected by the wear of the wearbar, itself. It will not wear down any further than what the depth of the wearbar allows it. This is an option, too.

7. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Howdy Thelawnscaper....

Well, I've got good news and not-so-good news....

The good news is that I have seen polys, such as yours, with a backdrag. The not-so-good news is that Western does not offer them for any of the poly series plows. It has to do with the way the cutting edge holds the poly mold board in place.

I've been working on a design for a bolt-on model, but have yet to "get it right". My suggestion is to find a good welder that can fab one up for you.

Take care.....

Dan

8. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Does anyone/site have pics of a backdrag blade and/or setup???
    Thanks,
    Pete

9. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

where can i get a new cutting edge with the back draging edge?