1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western back drag edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nekos, Nov 20, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

just wondering if any one has used it and how well does it work ?
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I like mine, cost about 80 bucks, if you install one you should replace the cutting edge at the same time so they are equal in height, otherwise it takes a long time to equal up the wear to the point where the front cutting edge is touching the ground.
  3. frostservices

frostservices Member

I saw one a guy made that he had hindged so it onlystood up when he was backing up he said it worked well.
  4. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

I have one on my Western 8.5 and it works great. It works well!purplebou
  5. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

i have one on my 8ft pro and it worked awesome last storm ---i copied the one from the western site and just welded 3inch flat stock together at the right angle ...really helps hold the blade down..........
  6. Synergyracing

Synergyracing Member
    from Indiana

I have them on my 7.5's and I will be removing at least one of them... for the added weight, I thought it woudl have scraped well...even replaced the cutting edge when I put it on.... problem is, when it gets packed with snow or ice, it does not want to scrape....it worked better when I had just the cutting edge... just my 2 cents....

7. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

i have one for sale

i purchased a new one and put it one and had the same problem with the scraper and backdrag not having even wear. So i took it off and saved it for when i put on a new scraper but i ended up selling the truck and plow before i did this so now i have a spare back drag sittin in my garage. Would like to get $50 bucks for it and i am in the NW Indiana area.
  8. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Like Todd (synergyracing) said they are JUNK. The flip down style are the best. Western style you have to replace w/cutting edge. on a 8.5 pro plow I have had 4 cutting edges and still the same flip down back drag. $80 x 4 = $320 The flip down I pd $250...and still going.
  9. SnowStooge3

SnowStooge3 Junior Member

I do alot of backdraging with my 7.5, to me the regular cutting edge does a rather nice job.
  10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

thanks for the reply's every one :)
    i do mostly comercial work and for the most part it doesn't matter how well i back drag . the salt trucks put down extra salt when needed . i do a few driveways and just wanted it for that.
    anyway thanks again for the opinions every one :)