1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western back drag edge

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cooker, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cooker

cooker Junior Member

I need help I had a western midweight plow installed on my 08 f150 and had them install the back drag edge also my problem is that the plow does not scrap it either trips or rides up on the snow. the installer says its because of the back drag edge but I think the plow a frame is too high in the back changing the angle of the face of the blade. all of the westerns at the dealers shop have the a frame tipped back mine is tipped forward. any help is appreciated.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When you install a new backdrag edge on a used cutting edge it will ride on the backdrag until they wear even. When installing new, on new, you still have to set the blade down and make sure that both cutting edges are touching the ground. There is enough slop in the bolt holes that you can have a significant difference in their position.

Of course the A-frame must be level to the ground for this to be achieved. If you A-frame is too low in the back only the backdrag will touch and if it's too high the backdrag won't do anything. On a straight blade you can only adjust this with the four configuration options but with the V plow there is a secondary and even more important adjustment at the rear end of the A-frame. When you talk about the frame being tipped back or forward are you refering to the headlight frame? If that is the case don't be concerned, the angle of the headlight frame has no bearing on the A-frame.

Try putting your blade down on a flat concret floor, then put a little torpedo level on the a-frame. If it is square to the floor then you are OK, if not you need some adjustment.

3. cooker

cooker Junior Member

everything is new and both cutting edges touch the floor the plow a frame is not level its pitched forward.I looked at the install instructions on westerns website and the plow is assembled right but for the hight of the truck black iron mine sits 1 3/4 inches higher than westerns highest setting theirs is 17 1/2 inches and mine is just under 20 inches. no lift kit just the heaviest front coil springs that ford has for f150 the snow plow prep springs.

4. mishnick

Under the curcumstances you are S.O.L. When you modify your vehicle or order it with unusual customizations you are taking a chance. I think the easiest solution would be to get someone to buid you some custom configuration plates to replace the factory version. (Those plates with the four optional elevation holes) Along with those you will probably have to reinforce your mounts to compesate for the added torsional stress resulting from the plow being vertually "under" the truck.

5. cooker

cooker Junior Member

The Pivot plates on the mid weight only have 3 holes the picture for a pro plow show 4 holes would those plates work

6. mishnick

Pretty much every plow other than the Mid-weight and the HTS have the four hole plates and according to the installation instructions for a Pro-plow the fourth hole is for up to 19 inches. This is a good idea but I expect it will be a sepecial order unless you can find a pair of used plates off something that has been written off in an accident or something. Still I am really interested to know if this helps. I had forgotten about the three holes on the mid-weights.

7. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

The newer midweights (fleet flex) are coming with the same four bolt side plates as the pro's on up throught the wide-out. You could try configuration 4. Max recommended height is 19". It might help. I am surprised you were able to get that height. We ussually get complaints they are too low, 13-14" range. Good luck.

8. cooker

cooker Junior Member

the install shop gave me a set of 4 hole pivot plates to try. In the bottom or 4th hole the a frame now level and the 9 inch measurement from floor to bottom of pivot bar is good the only problem now is the plow will hit the lift arm when stacking snow my old fisher had stops to prevent that from happening.

9. mishnick

The midweight plow does have an optional stacking stop to prevent the blade from going too high. It's just a rectangular bar that is bolted across the two sides of the A-frame. At our shop we have a pile of them since most trucks are so low that they are not required. Just ask your dealer for one, they should have some kicking around to give away.

10. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

You want one? ill send it to you free.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. cooker

cooker Junior Member

I'll check with my dealer tomorrow if they don't have one I may take you up on that. Thank You. PS where are you located?

12. cooker

cooker Junior Member

dealer gave me one now we just need snow so I can find out if plow works right or was a bad choice. Thanks for the help.