1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western and Fisher model 1000 Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Fryesburg, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Fryesburg

Fryesburg Junior Member

I am thinking of getting either a Fisher or Western 1000 Spreader.
    Do I need to spend the extra for the variable speed control?
    Can I make a variable speed control?
    Should I get the trailer hitch mount or go with the bumber mount?
    Are these good spreaders?
    CAn I mix salt and sand and will it spread it well?
  2. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I Don't Know if you got your spreader yet. I helped install a wester 1000 spreader on a friends dump truck to day.

He bought it used, and it only came with the on/off switch. Because the spinner sits up higher, it throws it farther. We didn't use the control panel because we had empty switches on an existing control panel. I set one up to run on max, and another to run at about 75%. The max, thought the salt about 12 feet on each side of the truck. The lower setting through it about 6 feet. I would spend the money, and get a var. speed control, unless you know how to do wiring like I did (cost less than $20).

As for the rest of the unit I could not say how well it works, but I will let you know.

This one is a swing out model. The dump truck that it is on doesn't have fold down sides, to load pallets of salt. We made modified brackets for it, to work on a dump truck. We can swing the spreader and use the bob-cat to load pallets.

A person that I know (dealer) told me that the swing out normally gets bent and is more of a pain than it is worth, unless you truly need to get something out of the back, like a large snow thrower.