1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western A- Frame./?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alternative, Feb 3, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

is the bolt that hold my a frame to the quadrant what is causing the wobble effect on my old "convential style" blade(WESTERN..) this thing wobbles left to right like crazy when driving.... wondring if its worn out (should i replace bolt) or is it loose .. will check tomarrow? any advice

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is part of your problem, but the U piece that the chain is mounted to has opened up a lit and also the piece that slides inside the U piece has movered forward. This is famous for the Western. If it has a lot of bounce that bolt hole you talked about is going to break. This is the result of back-dragging. If you don't catch it fast when it breaks you will most likely break one of your side rams.

3. alternative

Hope i dont need a new A FRAME and quadrant.. just want the plow to last a little longer

4. alternative

Will replacing bolt help.. wobble???

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The U piece that the chain is connected to. If you could close that a little that would help. If the bolt hole is worn then the end of the A frame that the bolt goes through is getting thin. It is better to have this worked on before it breaks. You need to have a piece of steel welded on the front of the A frame to give it more support.

6. alternative

what will happen if that bolt breaks? blade fall off? dont really want to buy a new a frame or quadrant. Guess ill see if my plow mech. can repair it. Supposed to get snow this week. Now am a bit nervous!

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

This can be fixed. We do them all the time. The hole is closed up with weld and/or new tubing, and then bored back out and the bolt is replaced. Many times, we add height to the bolt hole so it has more leverage. The part on the quadrant that goes over the pivot slide is repairable, too. This is done either by adding a shim and/or heating and pounding the guide back down. I hope this helps.