1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western A-Frame Repair and Renforcement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Thelawnscaper, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Everyone at one point has had an A-Frame problem, for me, mine sheered right through. After having it repaired and welded, my girlfriend's father and I thought of how to re-enforce the quadrent to the A-Frame (Western & Meyers owners should be familiar), this is what we came up with... Lemme know what you think.

This is the initial repair, with the new center pin

pin weld 1.jpg

2. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Western Repair 2

We decided to add two braces that prevent the quadrent from pulling forward (due to back-sweeping/pulling/draging) and thus making the A-Frame not able to be sheered again. This will also help from future problems because the quadrent has little space to move back and fourth, only side to side.

**be careful if you try this because if you do not space the braces correctly, the quadrent will not be able to turn and you will not be able to angle your plow.**

renforcement braces 1.jpg

3. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Western Repair 2.5

Heres another look at the whole thing... Talk to me if you want tips on how to do this.

finished 3.jpg

4. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Western Repair 3

After about 3 hours of welding and repairing, I spent another hour putting the blade back on and loading my springs up, then it was finished. Oh yeah and I added a plow stand which makes all the difference in the world. Talk to me if you want info/tips on my repair or how you could do it :yow!:

finished 1.jpg

5. Thelawnscaper

Thelawnscaper Member

Western Repair 4

Finally it stands :drinkup:

plow 1.jpg

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Looks like you did a nice job!

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's great "Dad" helped you, well at least the girl friends Dad. Most Dad's love to be of help when they have the knowledge, they can play with their big boy toys. I have a Myer's plow and end up welding something on it a few times a season. Nice weld job, that's some heavy duty bracing looks like it will last a while.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004