1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 9pin relay system question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 262markm, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 262markm

262markm Junior Member

im in the process of wiring up my 96 k3500 for a 8ft uni-mount. the harness came off another truck im unsure if it worked ok i started useing a test light to make sure all the lighting functions are working as they should it seems like they are except for i have some stray voltage on the blk/org connector

on the truck side with the headlights on i put a test light on the number 5 pin which is black and orange and the light barly lights up i use a multimeter and the voltage is at about 3 volts i unplugged one blk/org on the low beam relay and the light got dimmer and the same with the high beam relay and the light went out? is this normal? i have a feeling the relays are bad even thou the work like they should. could the stray voltage be from the magnetic field the relays put out? i havent hooked the plow side up to the truck yet because i dont have it yet

any input will help
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The black org wire is a ground so if you are getting three volts anywhere on that wire you have a bad connection where it ends probably. Depending where you are probing; it could be a bad connection at the grill plug or even at the common ground of the motor where the black org comes down from the control & headlamp harness. Try cleaning your connections and or use star washers where they are under a nut like at the motor. Also check where you motor main ground wire connects to the negative battery post and clean / tighten it. That should help.

The coils will only generate stray voltage when they transition. It's the magnetic field building and collapsing that generates induction, they don't do that when there is no current flowing through them or when they are on. They only generate stray signals for a fraction of a second when they are activated and a fraction of a second after they are deactivated. This is NOT your problem. Look for the bad ground.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011