1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 9.5 MVP ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mac95, Nov 16, 2001.

1. mac95

mac95 Junior Member

Hello I am trying to order a v plow from a local western dealer. They are unshure that the plow will mount on my truck, and have no plows here on the west coast. It is a 2001 dodge sport 1 ton diesel. I see that Boss uses a dodge sport in there web site and I think I have seen a few western plows on sports also, but never took a close look at the mounting. I think it has to do with the bumpers being lower and the plow has no travel room when lifting the blade.

If any one has mounted one on a sport could you tell me if there was any customizing needed to finish the install?

Thank you

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well first off a 9'6" MVP is for 14K gvw and up trucks. It should not be installed on a didge one ton especially with the diesel or v-10. Add to that you have lower rated springs on the sport edition, the front axel will be way over the limit.
    Now you should be able to install the 8'6" mvp on that truck with no issues. The mounting height for the a frame connection on the truck side is between 9-11". That should be lower than the front valance on the sport edition.
    Dino

3. mac95

mac95 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I realize there is a weight isue, but will a 8 1/2 MVP give enough path room for a my rear duallies to get by? If the 8.5 Mvp is better for my truck then all the better, there is also one in stock and not have to wait the three weeks shipping time. No matter what goes in front of this truck there will be a weight isue , we get very little snow here, last year there was only one plow day and the lots that didn't get cleared were in better shape the next day with most of the snow gone. All the plowed lots had piles of snow in all the corners for weeks, with the melt off icing the lots every night.

I'll go to the weastern site. Maybe the Boss 9foot 2 would be the ticket but I really would like to have double acting cylinders not springs for retracting the blades.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i believe you can get the boss w/ double acting cylinders

5. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I thought the only diferance between a regular Dodge and one with the sport package was the bumpers were painted to match the truck,they had diferant mirrors,had fog lights,and came with nicer rims with biger tires.When i bought my 98 that was all i noticedbetween them.They both sat the same height.

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Boss is available with LOCKING cylinders, not double- acting.

SIDE NOTE:
    Why you would WANT double acting cylinders INSTEAD of spring return is beyond me!

Almost every practical advantage goes to the single-acting cylinder w/ spring return: Including less hoses, wing-relief ability, cheaper cylinders, more reliable valves (less moving parts) etc., etc. Even if you break a spring, the plow still returns, just slower.

7. plowking35

from SE CT

The main reason I want double acting cyl, over spring return, is that you get a trip edge with the 2x cylinders.
    Dino

8. Kent Lawns

They are 2 unrelated items. (Other than what the manufacturers package)

But heck yeah, TRIP EDGE is the way to go on a V !

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Get the 8.5, the 9.5 is too big for your truck. We have a 9.5 and had to move it this year. The truck the plow is assigned too was out of the shop. So I said i will just go move it with the F 350 dump truck that was at the shop. It moved it, but i know it wouldn't like to plow with it.

As far as 8.5 not covering your drw, you should be fine with a pick up. Its the DRW C&C trucks that have problems with an 8.5 V-Plow IMO.

Geoff

10. Kent Lawns

???

Aren't the C&C trucks narrower than a Dually PU?

I don't own any Dually PU, but always understood those were WIDER than my C&Cs.

Perhaps make or year make a difference?

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

C&C trucks are trucks that carry dump bodies, rack bodies, ect. They are wider than a DRW pick up.

Geoff

12. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about the other makes, but I do know that on the '73 - '87 Chev/GMC trucks, the C&C dually trucks did have a narrower track width than the dually pickups and cube vans.

My '75 has a rear axle taken from a cube van: w-i-d-e. The welding truck I drive at work was a dually C&C from the factory, it's narrower across the outside duals. Both are GMC's, the work truck is a '79.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

For the most part C&C are narrower then Dually Pickups. Some could have been ordered with a wider axle though depending on the intended use.

As far as the plow. The 9'6" v is to heavy for a one ton. You will be happy with an 8'6" v

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

For those confused by the term C&C...It means Cab and Chassis.

Bruce

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I havent seen anything wider than a dually pickup,my dad's 2001 dodge 3500 pickup is 8'1" from outside or tire to outside of tire,its actually 8'4" from the outside of wheel house.I have seen 8 ft wide dump bodies,most dually tires are tucked uder the bodies by about 5-6" on each side,so the track width is about 1 ft wider on pickups.If the 8'6" western is too small ,go for a 9'2" Boss,since it is rated for a 1 ton,and is 8ft wide at full angle,either way,you tires will be inside the berm,not riding on,and squishing the berm.

16. mac95

mac95 Junior Member

It looks like western has no v plow that will suit a one ton duallie. The 8 1/2 mvp clears 7 1/2 feet but our trucks are ecxactly 8 feet wide at the rear tread. I only clear one road and you need full angle and lots of speed to throw the snow and still most of it spills back on the road after that bank starts to build up. I was hoping this year it there would of been some new products comming out. There was lots of talk about boss bringing out a trip edge v plow this year. this is why I kind of held off. Last year my closest boss dealer 1100 kilometers away could of sold me the 9' 2" for $5400 canadian, but today we where quoted $7000 for the same plow but with there new light set up.

I am seriosly considering just getting the 95 MVP and beefing up the front end. I can get this set up for $5500 can. and it is only 170lbs heavyer than a 85 MVP.

If that boss 92 v plow was priced with westerns I would at this point just get the Boss and live with the full trip and just be done with this whole matter. Nine month latter $1600 increase for their blade. I can't see them selling many this year at that price

17. plowking35

from SE CT

Just make the point the again. I ahve it on very good authority that boss will never make a trip edge v plow. They dont believe that is will last.
    I have the 8.5' mvp on a long wb dually, and have had very few problems with the tires interfering with the plowed area. Must be my excellent plowing techniques.
    Dino

18. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

A 9.5 MVP will kill that truck,the front end is strong,but that plow is a Medium duty truck plow,not meant for 1 ton frames.Dino,your truck isnt as wide at the wheels as his,yours is a C&chassis,they are narrower at the rear wheels by almost a foot.This makes a big difference.Gte a Boss,and buy a U edge from Dino,that wil take some of the beating off the truck.I bet they dont even make frame brackets for the MVP ,since Dodge doesnt have any trucks over a 1 ton.

19. plowking35

from SE CT

But i do have a dually and long wheelbase which will and does put the wheels i the plowed snow area. Its just not enough to really be an issue.
    Dino

20. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

Dually dimensions

This is an interesting thread as I am currently looking into a dually.
    I'm searching for a 2002 3500 C&C for a dump bed. Apparently a Duramax w/auto is a rare beast these days. I was originally looking at a MVP 8.5, on a 2500HD but since I looking at the 3500 my plow dealer has suggested a Boss 9.2 steel plow. Is this a good choice? Why wouldn't I go with the Poly Power-V? Do I need the larger plow or should I just stay with the MVP 8.5? If I read correctly there was some discrepancies in your responces above. Is there any one here that actually runs this setup? Before I sign off I'm looking at the 2002 Silverado propaganda brochure and the width at it's widest is 96 inches for their dually.
    I cannot find anything saying the C&C is different or the same.