1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 8ft poly help!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by the new boss 92, Feb 20, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

you guys know that illinois is getting hit with a storm sunday night and i got a call for the guy i work for and his one and only plow is down! this is what he told me over the phone, and im also going to look at it tomarrow when we meet up. the truck is an 08 2500hd with the 6.0.

-it wont rise
    -he tapped the motor with a hammer and it rised but when he tried it again it didnt work
    -he cleaned all the connections and it works but only about 5 or 6 times
    - the silinoid under the hood clicks over everytime, but the motor wont kick over
    -he tried a different controler, joystick to hand held, nothing
    - he said over the last 2 storms he noticed a little more voltage drop inside the cab
    - all plow lights still work(low/high beams, 4 ways, blinkers)

its a 3 plug iso plow and i have no experience with them other then i know theres a mini computer under the hood for the plow itself. any help before tomarrow would be really helpful and apprecated! thanks alot guys.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the connections are good and tapping on the motor briefly fixes it then it needs a motor. The noticeable extra AMP draw is also a big indicator of a dying motor.

3. the new boss 92

yea well this is its 3rd season and it wasbought new,my boss drew more amps then needed when i had dirty connections. im just not to fimaliar with the 3 plug westerns! thanks b&b

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would agree with b&b that it needs a motor. Have someone hit the contoller up, left, or right and see what votlage you have at the motor. Take a volt meter and set it for 20 volts dc and put the terminals on the studs if you have 12 volts and no motor function the motor is toast.

5. the new boss 92

alright thanks guys, like i said im going to take a look at it today some time while i give him my input on some condo's he bidding on just to give to me and we will see what happens with thoughs, meanwhile we are going to look at his plow!

6. the new boss 92

i went to look at it today, and this is what it does.i works fine fore about 10x's up down left right. then yougo to rise it and nothing. motor seems a little noisy to me but i have never heard a new westen operate other then this one so it could be just me to. any one have any more ideas?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No new ideas, because it still needs a motor.

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Like B&B said and I will say the same thing. It sounds like to motor is on it way out. If you have to "tap" on the motor to make it work again, either the brushes are going, or there is a short in the winding.......

Get a new motor.........

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

New motor!

10. the new boss 92

Alright cool ill give him a ring tomarrow and let him know that its a motor for sure then, hopefully it holds up if he can't get a new one if not then ill be pushing my a$$ off monday morning and little bit tuesday!

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My two cents, get a motor if it needs one. I didn't know this, but if the motor shorts out or loses ground, it can ark through the pump. Then yo will need a pump. This just happened to me last plow. The ark was so bad the armature couldn't be re-used to rebuild.

12. the new boss 92

well ysterday just to put the icing on the cake, the pump went out. took it apart and there was about an inch of motor dust in it, installed a new motor and changed the fluid this morning and it works like a charm again thanks b&b and tony!