1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 8ft blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snate, Nov 18, 2002.

1. snate

snate Junior Member

It's my first time using a Western blade and it's seems to buckle under it's self when I push. I undestand the springs are there for that purpose but it literally bends that headlights aim downwards.
    It does this over any uneven surface. Should I just push and relax? Is it meant to buckle that much. Is the spring tension adjustable? I had an old Fisher and I could push snow without the whole blade and headlights bending and buckling.
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

hey snate, not to start this back up but, something sounds really wrong if the lift frame is bending downward.everyone told you not to put that 8' plow on the truck, and now you have got problems with it. do the right thing and take it off.
  3. snate

snate Junior Member

I dont think it could be my frame moving or the truck would be driving sideways. I just want to know if Western plows are meant to bend when pushing hard. My truck is not the issue.
  4. paul soccodato

meant to bend? think about that. if the headlights on the lift frame deflect downwards when your pushing ,something in the rear is moving upwards. either somethings loose, or something is bending. take a look where the plow connects to the truck.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

snate, can you get somebody to drive your truck and push some so you can see what's going on? I think that's the only way you can really tell for yourself. I don't know Western and I think they have a "full trip" blade, but I wouldn't think the headlights are designed to do like you're describing. I'd suggest you check it out before you do much more with it.
  6. Nova

Nova Member

Let me know when you have time I'll come by and have a look at it. We used the old Western mounts on the red Fords and they never did that, so something is wrong.
  7. PPM

PPM Junior Member

hey snate I am in north TO if u want to see my hook up on a chev, I think your missing something,mine use to do that aswell, I was missing some supports .
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2002
  8. bert

bert Member

my 8 foot western on my ford does not bend the lights down u got something lose :waving:
  9. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I custom built the mount on my Dodge and it doesn't do anything like that.
    Is your A-frame parallel to the ground??
    Maybe there are some leverage issues at play.
    Just someplace to look,
    Mark K
  10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do I really need to say anything? If my friends motto holds true, then you are just being punished. Dont cry, and dont complain, just deal with it.
    Now onto your question, should your headlights rotate forward when plowing with a unimount type mounting system from western? When used correctly, and mounted in accordance with Western and Douglas Dynamics guidelines, NO.
    However when the unimount is hacked onto a truck that wasnt meant to carry any plow,let alone this plow, and then operating outside design parameters,( IE a frame to low to ground) than quite likely that head frame is rotating due to poor workmanship. I believe that this was predicted last week when us nobody's suggested that you TAKE THE PLOW OFF THAT TRUCK.
    this is just the first symptom that more dire problems will arise very soon. Seriously, you are not only going to ruin the plow, but your truck also. That is alot money to throw away just because you are stubborn.
    My friend has another saying, cry me a river, build me a bridge , and get over it.
    Hey just for giggles, post a pic with this plow on the truck, I would love to have a photo of what not to do for the office or screen saver. If nothing else you have made me laugh. Who says that good comedy is dead.
  11. paul soccodato

some people just dont get it
  12. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

my impression of plowking ( blah blah blah,i told you so,blah blah,i reply to every post -just to post instead of help blah blah blah).........:nono:
  13. plowking35

from SE CT

How can you even defend this guy. he asked what we thought about the plow issues he had when it was installed. The overwhelming majority told him to take it off, or at the very least rethink the idea. He didnt, and now he has larger issues. What can I say except that we all saw it coming. Was I very vocal in my opinion, yes. Was I right in doing so, yes.This is far more than just my opinion, it is now a matter of safety, and was when I first posted. What do you think the out come will be if that lower assembly comes loose at 45 mph on the highway. I shudder at the idea.
    I am sorry for being slightly abusive to this person, but he just doesnt get it. All these problems arise, yet the truck is fine, the homemade mounts are fine, and oversize plow are not the problem. What can I say except that he is denial, and wont accept resonsability for his actions. I just hope no one gets hurt.
  14. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Finnegan, an 8' plow does NOT belong on a 1500 crew cab. PERIOD.

Why is it so hard to believe that ignoring manufacturer recommendations, and mounting a plow on a truck that cannot handle the weight is OK? Then complaining about the problems you have........

There is no dispute, if the truck was a regular cab, or even an extended cab, there are many models of plows that would work just fine. An 8' plow on a crew cab is just too much weight.

And actually, Dodge does not offer the plow prep package on any of the 1500 models, go figure.

I wonder if Dodge will still honor the warranty with a plow on a crew cab 1500?

15. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It actually reminds me of guys asking why they can't use lift blocks on the front of their truck with a solid front axle. Ever see the aftermath of a front lift block popping out? Not pretty. Yet, people do it all too often, even after they are told it is dangerous.

The guys that put spacers in the front coils springs on TTB Fords to get some lift, then complain about the uneven tire wear, and they can't understand why their alignment is all out of whack.

Guys who remove suspension bump stops to gain more wheel travel, and end up breaking sway bar mounts, and cracking shock mounts.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

16. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Im behind you all the way Dino and Chuck.

I dont understand why they are being harsh on you Dino. If you have a honest and well based opinion express it!

Chuck.... I guess some people dont understand common sense.

Snate.... How about some before and after pictures.

Las Vegas.... Ive got $5 on the plow being wrapped up under the front bumper before the next 6 inches of snow falls.
  17. plowking35

from SE CT

Ok Finnegan got me thinking, and I will offer help in order for this truck to possibly work properly with this plow. But for the record, I dont think this plow and truck should be mated.
    1-get rid of the low profile rims and tires, get a good set of 16" rims and E rated tires.
    2-find the highest rated torsion bars available, that may mean aftermarket
    3-only plow with the driver on board, no extra weight at all in the cab
    4- timbrens are a must
    5- if the headlights are rotating forward, that means the lower unimount must be rotating towards the rear of the truck, that also means the locations of the current bolt holes are acting as hinges. this needs to addressed, when most people think of plowing, the main concern is weight, not always true, leverage and side loads also are a big concern.
    The unimount needs to be 9-11" at the lower pushbeam location with the plow down. Lower than that and the plow is always pointing up hill if, that will add stres in areas that were not designed for the loads being put on it. If you can not get the uni mount to the 9-11" height, you really need to take the plow off.
    To help counteract the reaward loads on the bottom of the unimount, struts need to be added coming from the bottom push beam, rearward up to the frame on an angle. That should keep everything in position.
    With all that being said, I assume the fame is a box type assembly, and that also causes problems, over tighten the bolts and the frame will just crush. the loads also need to be absorbed over a much larger area than just the 4 bolt locations that I would guess are currently being used. The plow makers really do engineer this stuff, right along side the truck makers. If the loads are not calculated properly, than major issues will arise. That is why this truck shouldnt have a plow, these tests were never done, and no one really knows what the final outcome will be when these frame sections are stressed, or if they were done it was concluded that the frame wasnt up to the task
    However if you really must plow with this truck and 8' pro plow, at least limit the problems by doing all you can to make it safe.
    As you can see, it wont be cheap, and these items are found on properly equiped 3/4 ton plow trucks, which is the preferred the way to go. Anything short of what is outlined here, is really just being unresponsible. All of these items and possibly more than I thought of need to addressed, no short cuts, and no magic bullet. Like Chuck said this is serious business, and we all need to treat it as such.
  18. #1westernwelder

#1westernwelder Junior Member

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

then i better run out to the shop and put some bubble gum on my junky dodge frame to keep it from bending.
  20. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Wonder why western welder changed that post????