1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 8' pro

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by stanza, Nov 16, 2003.

1. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

got my western 8' plow friday and proceded to install.
    Ive never done this before but all went well until------------------------------- im missing the harness that runs from the hydraulic unit to the joy stick and the harness that connects the solenoids on the hydraulic unit.
    Im sure somebody has done their own install. the electric looks really hard. someone tell me its not. i have the directions but it looks tough.
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Need alittle info first,is this a used plow?What mount/model 8'?
    The electrical is not that hard if you take your time and read the directions,should be able to walk you thru this with a little more info though.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Not a problem, give us the year and model of the truck along with type of harness (eforce or relay) and don and i can get you through it.

4. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

western 8 pro

this is a new 8' western pro
    it comes with a isolation module and a motor relay.
  5. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'm crap for help, but I can tell you that I did my own. It was very intimidating, and I had problems, but the key with electrics is to follow the instructions completely literally and to the T. In other words, you don't always need to know "why" something is how it is, you jsut have to do it. That was my struggle. I put the relay block etc together on my kitchen table. But yeah, it can be done. :D

EDIT: I should say trial and error issues, rather than problems. Some of the wire colors weren't matching up per the instructions, so it took a bit to get all the lights working properly.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

LOL,I used to get mad when guys started talking while i was wiring up relays,some of the newer trucks were running like 6 relays,i would try to concentrate while they were:drinkup:
  7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

:p You know my pain, then. It was 6 for my truck, and I was trying ot kepe them straight, and then one would rotate, and I'd spend the next 10 minutes squinting and holding them at angles to see where the diff numbers were... :realmad: In the end I was glad and proud, though. Real sense of accomplishment when everything started working. :D
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

STANZA.............Hey Mister........
    Where are you at in Syracuse ?
    I have a new Western set up on my Chevy.
    I could stop by and you can eyeball my set up
    to find out where stuff should go !
    Or what your missing............................

If your really stumped call American Truck and
    Van in Baldwinsville. They are a authorized
    Western dealer. They installed my set up new!

Remember new GMs with plow prep. pkg. have
    extra wiring off the lights for easy hookup and
    NO cutting. Western and Fisher offer optional
    wiring harnesses that plug into new GMs !

Ya missed the meet today at Applebees in Clay
    with the rest of the CNY fellas.

Check out the networking forum here for pics that
    Mike posted...........................

Give me a call if need be and you can eyeball or
    trace your wiring off my rig ! 315-564-7355
    :D :D :D
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Stanza BTW...........Don't drill any holes in your firewall
    if you have plow prep pkg. There will already be a 42mm
    hole with a rubber plug in it to run wires inside the truck.

Look at the master cylinder....Just beneath it at the 7
    o'clock position you will see a black rubber plug.

check out this GM link on plow prep info.:
  10. Crash935

If you havent found your missing harness' yet, they are supposed to be in the power unit box. You should have power unit 64588 with headlights 64100.
  11. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

western 8'

it wasnt in with the unit.
    western is sending it out to me.
    i have the rest of the truck wired except for the lights.
    the harness should be here tomorrow.
  12. Crash935

At least you got it figured out, which is a good thing because i gave the wrong number for the power unit (should be 56588).
  13. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you look at the Western wiring diagrams, they show all 6 relays in a boxcar pattern (3 on the left 3 on the right). What I do is put all together with electrical tape in the same pattern and just start plugging wires together so it identically matches the diagram in the manual. The first time it took me 3 hours just to half/a&& get all the wires together. I taped all the relays together as I said earlier, it now takes me 10 minutes... No foolin'!