1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 8' MVP or Blizzard 8611 Speedwing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Feb 9, 2011.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Im in the market for a new plow. Im interested in both these plows and have researched both on here and found many pros and cons about both. I like the trip edge on the MVP but also like the snow moving capicity of the Speedwing. The cost for the MVP is 5600.00 installed and the Blizzard is 4800.00 Dealer support is good with both brands. I currently own a Blizzard 760 HD and like the plow but would love to have something that is able to move more snow and less trail off. One feature I really like on the Western is the ability of the plow to be able to float with the pavement for a better scape....I would think. I guess what Im trying to ask you guys is this...if you were going to choose between the two, which would you buy?

Thanks in advance.
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

An 8611sw? I didn't know they made one.
  3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I think you answerd your own Question .......Go with the Blizzard
  4. clncut

my apologies....its a 8600 SW not 8611
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

It doesn't matter what plow it is...they all go into "float" mode, and all have no restricted movement as far as plowing with the contour of the pavement as long as the controller is in float.

I would take the direct lift blizzard...it goes into float just like a western...lol.
  6. clncut

Ok, maybe I didnt explain myself well enough....I understand that a blade will go into "float" mode when lowered....having the ability to float up and down with the contour of the ground. But the "Direct Lift Blizzards", as you say... ARE restricted to only being able to float up and down where Westerns allow more movement of the blade due to the rotating pivot bar which seems to be a nice feature.

Thanks for the advice
  7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

If your blade has the ability to float laterally as well as vertically isn't it also going to do that when going down the road (rocking side to side) unless lifted all the way up to the stops? I have an 8611 direct lift blizzard and I love the direct lift. Very stable when in transport and haven't noticed a negative effect of lateral "float". You do have to read the contour of the ground a little when being 11' wide though. Obviously if you are on the center of a crown on a road you're not going to scrape clean on each side. You have to plan your move a little bit ensuring you are covering as much flat area as possible.
    Overall though, i think you're better off w/ the Blizzard...JMO
  8. clncut

If Im not mistaking, which I could be...Westerns do have a slight rock in them even when all the way up. I do belive Im going to go ahead and go with the Blizzard. They are willing to give me 2200 for my straight blade and 4500 for the SW. Hard to pass up the deal. Thanks again.
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'd get the Speedwing if you have no plans to wing the Western.
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Wait a Minute Pinky......Im really Surprised you did NOT say Boss....It must be Tough to chim in and Not Say Boss..........:laughing::laughing:.......:waving:
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You\'re referring to the pivoting ability of the Western. One of their better ideas IMO.

Wish Blizzard had that.

Thanks for clarifying. I\'d go with the Blizzard.