1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 8.5 UltraMount Pro Plow Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JDMJR, Nov 2, 2009.

1. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Hey guys - Another newbie to this forum and I have a question. Just bought an 2008 F-350 V10 reg cab with an 8.5 Ultramount Pro Plow Plus setup already mounted and one seasons use. I have had many Fisher products 7.5 - 10' MC on our backhoes and everything in between. Never owned a Western and am a little nervous about the non-trip edge design. I probably shouldn't be but you stick with what you know. Could I swap out the blade only for a trip edge design? I thought that there may be a blade out there that would swap easily. We adapt other attachments for our loaders and excavators all the time and figured this may work too. All the hydraulics seem to require the same operating pressures as the Fishers do as well as almost the same bores and strokes. Not looking to reinvent the wheel here but thought it may be worth asking. Also, where are the weak spots on those plows and what should I stock for parts that usually go @ 2:30AM with the hiway closed and another foot predicted in the next 6 hours? I think you all know what I mean!

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

2. Ford06

Ford06 Junior Member

JDMJR;849398]

3. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Ford06 - Thanks that sounds about right when we compare to the items we carry for our Fishers. What do you think of your plow overall? When you say coil what are you refferring to? Trip spring or hydraulic valve solenoid, coil for your iginition?

Thanks again.

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

5. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

First off, Welcome to PlowSite. You'll find lots of helpful information and people here. ussmileyflag

In regards to your setup, you have yourself a good solid truck there and a very solid and dependable plow! You can get one of the 'quick repair' kits they sell that includes the common stuff for piece of mind.

I have owned nothing but Westerns for the past 23 years now and wouldn't have anything else.

Do basic maintenance, such as fluid change, spring tension adjustment, fitting checks, grease on the connections and you'll be all set.

Here is a couple of pics of my Western 9' Pro Plus. These are built really well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

my god did u just get that thing!?!?! its brand new! push some dirt with it or something lol

7. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Suzuki0702 - That makes sense and is great advice. Thank you for your reply and feedback!

JDMJR

8. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

sbrennan007 - Sweet looking plow. I have yet to unload ours but am excited. After looking it over more closely I am feeling better about how it is built and the heft of it. Which deflector is better; the poly rigid one or the rubber one you have? Our snow here is never champagne, it is always wet and heavy or kinda dry and then heavy with rain on top!

9. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Personally, I prefer the rubber deflectors. They have worked great for me for many years and I have seen too many of the poly, rigid curled ones all bent strait up from stacking snow.

Our snow here is usually the same way, wet and heavy. It's nice when you get those nice 2-4" fluffy snow falls. xysport

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldn't worry about trip edge vs whole plow. if your cutting edge wears down to far it wont take out the trip edge like on a fisher.

i like the rubber deflector better. even better if you rib it.

11. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Thanks again for your info guys, that gives me assurance that this was the way to go. No Lead, what do you mean "rib" it? We extend the upper side of our backhoe buckets witha ribbed spill plate made from mild steel welded. Do you mean that or do you mean create a "structure" for the rubber to hit as it inevitable rises up as the pile of snow increases. Kind of a bump stop for the rubber lip?

Thanks again.

J.

12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I figured we could use some more Western love in this thread. ussmileyflag

And to the OP, I prefer a full trip over a trip edge. I'm not going to go into any more detail then it's just a preference. I don't want to start another fight on this site. lol

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

nekos, nice setup ...what size blade is that?

14. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Thank You Thank You :)

It's 8' ... 9' with the wings on.

15. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Nice machinery. It looks way bigger than 8'0" base! Have fun with it this year and let's hope for snow and lots of it! I feel the Western love now.

16. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

nice!! i need me a set of those wings!

17. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

there is a rubber rib kit that will bolt on your deflector. about 10 1"x1.5" rubber ribs. makes it 10 times stiffer.

love the pro plus nekos. i have sold a ton of those. that is the real deal.

18. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

no lead - Thanks for the information. You wouldn't happen to have the name or part number or a place to buy those rubber stiffeners would you? I really appreciate the help. All members here have been a real help and an awesome resource.

JDMJR