1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 8.5 too heavy?????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by greymare89, Oct 25, 2011.

1. greymare89

greymare89 Member

Suppose to look at a western ultramount 8.5 foot pro plow tomorrow that a gentleman has for sale for a good price, $2200 includes all truckside parts that will match up to my truck. Just wondering if the 8.5 is pushing the limit for my 2003 2500 hd with 6.0 engine. I don't plan on using commercially, just a couple family mamber's driveways and one house I look after. Also is there a big difference between the 8 and 8.5? I recently found a boss 8 foot for sale with all parts at a good price but its a pretty long dirve to go pick up. also the guy has everything unhooked from the truck and has no way to demonstrate the plow. Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks
  2. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

It must be a Pro Plus because they dont make a 8.5 in the Pro version. The regular 8 ft Pro Plus weighs 805 lbs and the 8.5 weighs 821 so not much of a difference. I have the 8 ft Pro Plus on my F-250 and it handles it just fine. Just need some weight in the back.
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

They definitely make an 8.5' Pro plow. It weighs 686 lbs. An 8' Pro weighs 668 lbs... 18 lbs. difference. I put 8.5' Western Pros on half ton shortboxes... They make awesome driveway rigs.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 on the pro plow in an 8' 6"

You will be fine. I run a 9ft pro plow on the front of my 2500HD crew cab with a duramax. Done it for years.