1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 8.5 MVP Uni Mount DA angle ram 10 vs. 11

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pcurtice, Jan 14, 2015.

1. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

Hi fellas, new to the forum and I want to thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out. This forum has helped me out recently in the past.

Here is my concern/issue/question. I will be replacing one of the angle rams on my plow as listed in the title in the near future. I had to replace the other last January at which time the local Western dealer sold me one, a Double Acting (DA) angle ram part # 56750 2x11. Recently while looking up the part on the Western Web site I noticed my plow actually called for a DA angle ram part # 56709 2x10. I found a decent deal on an angle ram at which time the seller advised me it was a 2x11 (Part #56750) He also threw some dimensions out at me, length of case, and rod width, which matched the one I purchased last Jan from the Western dealer except for one measurement and that is the extension length. This is where I am confused. I am only seeing a 10 inch extension on the new one that I purchased last January while actuating/extending that wing on my plow. I also checked the other side (the one I want to replace) for extension and that came out to about 10" extension also. Unfortunately I can't pick up a part number off of it.

So that is what I have....now my question is if I go ahead and purchase the 2x11, same part number as the one that only extends 10 inches on my plow (same part # as a 2x11) and if they do actually turn out to be different in extension length, will that one inch make a difference enough to cause a problem?

I am also curious if the hydraulic pump is preset to control the extension of the angle cylinders not allowing them to extend beyond 10 inches for this model or is there a stop within the cylinder? Okay, sorry for the long winded post. Hoping it was not confusing. Thanks again for your consideration.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is no automatic stop to prevent over-travel of the ram. Some V plows had an option for rear stops but there is certainly nothing to stop it from over extending. Keep in mind that if the ram is longer over all it will be longer in the fully retracted position too. I would recommend just putting on the original size or you could have problems. The original DA angle ram for the UNI MVP is 2X10, part number 56709W

3. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

Thanks for the info and recommendation Mishnick. Appreciate you taking the time. How would one measure the length of extension on these rams? I basically retracted the wing(s) until they stopped, made a mark on the rod at the case/cylinder, and then extended the wing until it stopped and then measured from my mark back to the case. Is that how the extension is or can be calculated on these rams?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Your method of measure is correct. The only thing that can be calculated is displacement.

5. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

I bought this plow last Jan already installed on a truck. So not real familiar with it nor the company itself. It worked fine for the balance of last winter and still is....knock on wood...up to this point. My previous plow truck (Ford with older Boss V) finally tired out last Jan,the truck, not the plow. I have been relatively pleased with this plow so far. I see my plow has a 50 year anniversary sticker on it so would it be safe to say it was probably made in 2003, maybe later? Also, was there only one MPV plow model made for the uni mount. Again my plow is a 8.5 MPV. From what I have gathered surfing on the web, there was only one model MPV plow made for uni mount up to a certain date? Thanks again.