1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 7'6 questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sven_502, Dec 6, 2008.

1. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Hi folks i've got a few questions with my western 7'6 unimount plow. I hooked it up this morning to the yukon and lifted it up and backed out of the shed and parked it, then when i tried to angle the blade either way with it all the way up, the motor just whines and nothing happens. I dropped the blade down and lifted it to halfway, then they would angle after a couple seconds. The blade always makes whining and choking noises never really sounding that great. I'm wondering if its just low on fluid, I've never touched the fluid myself in the 3 winters ive owned it.

This brings up my other question. I'd like to just change the plow fluid once and for all, correctly, with the right fluid so I know its all good. I've picked up bits and pieces of how to change them but id like an exact method, with the exact fluid capacities and not just someone saying fill it up, I dont want to blow the motor up or something or burn it out from too low of fluid etc. Anybody could help me out here that'd be great.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Thanks a bunch

4. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I have another question though in the middle of the wiring harness theres what looks like a ground wire sticking out, maybe a foot long with an end that would slide over a bolt and attach, i can get a picture tomororw, but would anybody know what this is for? I'm not sure if it will damage anything if I hook it up Ill try and get a picture tomororw

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

What color is it? BLK/BRN is ground, RED is power.

6. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Black with like a yellow stripe up the middle, comes out of the back of the motor, slightly awkward place to take pics at im uploading them now

7. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pics are all kind of crappy but you might be able to see where its coming from. And sorry about the pics being huge again but this time it somewhat helps illustrate my point.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

lmao, now that I am cross eyed, I can answer your question....

That wire should be hooked to the metal bracket next to the pump motor. Same one the 2 pin plug hooks to. Should also have the cover for the plugs on that little L shaped bracket.

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Duh, theres your problem. thats the ground wire for the solenoids on the valves, no ground, no functions. If its a newer motor and has a ground terminal on it hook it to that.

11. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Hi again, I'm having more issues with the plow. I can plow with it for about 10 mins, then it just loses power and altogether wont lift at all after a couple lifts. Angling same thing. I cleaned all the wires nuts and the stud on the positive and negative motor terminals, I didnt think I should unscrew them completely out to do so though, if I should please tell me. I just cleaned/sanded the corrosion off the wires and nuts etc. But my problem still happens. It lifts a few times when i first go to use it getting progressively weaker until no go. I really hope this doesnt mean burnt motor because I just dont want to pay that:mad: Also I tried lifting the ram without the plow hooked up, just the ram, and it does the same thing gets progressively weaker. I did this a few times, but I was wondering if theres something wrong because I had to get someone else to push down on the joystick while I leaned my whole 200lb bodyweight into the ram to push it back down. I dont think its supposed to be that stiff. Thanks for help in advance, I need to get it working its supposed to snow again friday.

P.S Sechracer and crash I hooked the ground wire to the negative terminal on the motor, making sure it was clean, and it made no difference what so ever.

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

When it does this, does it sound like the motor is struggleing? or does the motor not run at all? Do not take the studs out of the motor.... Sounds like you are getting pressure in the housing, or the pump is binding down. Try pulling the motor off and see if you can turn the pump shaft with your fingers...

13. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Im pretty sure it whines weakly then stops and doesnt make noise. I think.

14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Does the case of the motor get hot to the touch?

Any chance you would delete the pics in your other post to make this one easier to read? That is only if you want to., just go to the bottom of that post and click edit...

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you end up changing the oil? if not your very low. you said it would angle with the blade down, but not all the way up. that means not enough oil. that will smoke the pump eventually. put the blade down and colaple the lift cylinder. pull the fill plug and the allen plug on the side of the case. fill er up till it runs out. cap it and let us know what happens.

16. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I couldnt tell you if the case was hot to touch i didnt think to do that, ill have to check the fluid level and get back to you, i remember last time the fluid was low though the motor would whine for a bit before moving. It will move the plow on the ground slowly. Another question the whole pump/motor assembly has alot of slack where its bolted on the two bolts, it doesnt seem to be hurting it as far as i can see i just want to know if this is okay. Sorry I didnt see the edit button i will take out the pictures. I figured out why i couldnt respond that one day sechracer its becasuse the pics made the page so damn wide the response box is so far over i didnt see it. I cant see the edit box on that particular post, only this one that i recently posted for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  17. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Check your fluid level like No Lead said, and also check that ground wire that you hooked up. It is the ground for the solonoids, and if they lose ground for some reason, it will make the pump dead head and just build pressure and eventually hit the releif.

18. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

skip this post

19. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

skip again

20. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

and again..