1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 7'6" Pro Plus -w-wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kingriver, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I am considering buying a new 2010 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4 -w- duramax 6.6/ allision 1k 6spd trans. Their has to be someone out there who has a similar setup and can give me some HONEST FEEDBACK. If not some honest feedback from GMC owners on what size plows they are running on the newer trucks. My biggest concern is the FAWR being 4860 and the duramax weighing in at around 1180 lbs. INPUT PLEASE ATT

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Go to the Western Quick Match on their website and put in the specs of the truck your are considering buying BEFORE buying. Too many people buy the truck they want and then come asking us to install a plow on it only to learn that their truck is very limited in plow options. The biggest problem I have seen is the diesel engine..... They are so heavy that they simply can't take much more weight in the way of a plow. Here is a link to quick match. Put in the specs for the truck you want and look at the plows it offers you, then select the gas engine and compare the options. I expect you will be amazed.
    http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp

3. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

First, a 7 -6 is too narrow even if your 3500 is srw. 8 ft min in my opinion. I'm running a 8ft pro plus and wish I bought a 8 -6. Adding wings to a 7 -6 would get you wide enough but you would be stuck with the wings on all the time to not drive over unplowed snow when the plow is angled. Even with wings a 8ft plow would be better.

Second, a pro plus is too heavy for a dmax. The 4800 lb frontend wasn't designed for a plow that heavy. Can you put a pro plus on your truck, yes. Will you be able to drive it around, yes. Will you be replacing front end parts all the time, yes!

I'm a GM guy, always have been. I just bought a new powerstroke for the 6,000 lb front end and new 6.7 diesel. I picked my plow then bought a truck to work with it.

My dad has a new sierra and runs a 7 -6 pro and his truck squats twice as much as mine and I have a pro plus. Just to give you an idea.

Good luck either way.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I am not a true gm guy but have nothing against them. I think up until 2011 gm didn't offer a plow package on a CC or ext, cab with the diesel because of the front axle weight rating. I could be wrong on the ext cab part but am pretty sure it is that way for the CC.

If you really want a gm and a commercial plow, maybe timbrens or air bags plus the understanding that the front end wasn't designed for that much weight and will need attention sooner than others. Also I think you may want to ad frame gussets if you get a gm and plan to plow commercially with it. Do a search if you aren't familiar about the issue. Please understand I am not trying to bash gm either, fords have there issues as well and that is just the brand I chose.

5. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Hey guys thanks for the response. Sure is funny thou how some of you feel that the trucks front end isn't beefy enough for a 7'6" plow,. GO TO WESTERNS SITE
    AND TYPE IN THIS INFORMATION. 2010 GMC Sierra K3500 REG CAB 4X4 DUALLY CHASSIS BOX OPTION. seems that the only plows you could put on are actually a lot larger than the 7'6" (research) b-4 always helps.

6. mishnick

"(research) b-4 always" Amen to that Kingriver! Regardless of the stories you hear, be they true or not, verify the facts before making a decision. Now that you know your way around the Quick match you can make an educated and informed decision based on reality. Good luck whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

7. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Mishnick, hey thanks again I will keep you posted and good luck to you in whatever you choose to tackle

kingriver james

8. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

One problem - For some reason Western's quick match won't allow you to change the engine to the diesel for a 3500 truck. With the 6.0 gas motor, yes, there are alot of options for a plow. Change it to a 2500 (which has almost the same front end specs. 60 lbs difference) with the diesel and the options are limited to a midweight or pro.

A pro plus is too heavy for that truck according to western. Gas motor it will work, not with the d=max.

RESEARCH IS GREAT. JUST MAKE SURE WHAT YOU ARE RESEARCHING IS CORRECT.

9. mishnick

Yup, that's a common problem. The duramax diesel is a lot more weight on the front end so it limits the plow options big time. One consolation though is that gas engines tend to start better in winter anyway. Nothing worse than a cold diesel plow that won't start when you need it most.

This is why I tell people to do quick match on the truck before they buy it!

10. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Run a 2007 Classic (OBS) crew cab duramax 2500 with the 8-6 MVP Plus w/wings. About 1,000 lbs. ballast (sand bags) behind rear wheels. Turned the keys (put in a different set to be able to crank a little more) and added Timbrens. Also went to Bilstein shocks because after cranking on torsion bars was extending stock shocks too far. Could have added shock extenders but went with the replacement shocks. Truck handles weight great and is a plowing beast. Did add the frame gussets, as well, do a search and you will find them on here.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Yeah the diesel or gas option will make a difference with what plow you can out on. I thought you were looking for a duramax thats why I said it will be a lot of weight.

12. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

I wasn't trying to say the truck couldn't handle the weight of a pro plus. Only stating that plow is too heavy for the rated weight of the front end components and using a plow such as a pro plus/ wideout/ mvp will wear out the front end ( ball joints, tie rods, etc) prematurely.

You can still run a pro plus and do a good job plowing. The front end is going to squat pretty bad and it will take a lot of weight in the bed to even things back out but it's doable.

Good luck either way.