1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 7.6 plow on 2009 Silverado -- help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Demon71, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on my situation:

I have a 7.6 Western Plow with the ultramount. I use to run it on my 2003 Silverado Z71 1500 with a 5.3L engine. I only plow my own company dock area and parking lot (small area 100ft x 100ft) It worked great on my 2003… I ran with about 300-400 lbs of ballast in the bed. Well when I traded the 2003 in on my 2009 I kept the plow, wiring harness, and control joy stick, just couldn't get the mount off the truck….

NOW I want to put this on my 2009 Silverado Z71 1500 with 5.3L engine… and everyone at Western is telling me I can't… So I went to plowprtsdirect.com and they have the mount to put this plow on my 2009…

But I'm concerned that I might be doing something I shouldn't if everyone is saying not too…

The GRVW, GVFW, GVRW weights for my 2003 & 2009 are all identical, so I can't see why there would be a problem??

Any thoughts?? OR just go or it since I'm not plowing much?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You either need the ULTRAMOUNT to unimount trk side bracket or a unimount plow. The wiring CAN be done, but your better off with an ultramount setup

3. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Sorry that was a typo…. I have the ultra mount western plow… I also already bought the correct mount for the truck. I sent them the serial number from the plow and all the details etc and they gave me the correct mount bracket for the truck.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

5. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

So if I add a leveling kit as you suggested I'll be ok to run the plow I have?

Should I look into a HD coil spring upgrade? or just the leveling kit is all I need to carry the extra weight?

6. cubicinches

Is the 7.5' Western a Pro plow (four trip springs and a shock), or a standard duty(two trip springs and no shock)? I personally think you'll be fine either way, but the Pro plow does weigh more than the standard duty plow.

7. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Here is the info from the plow --

INFO FROM PLOW:
    Western Plow 7’ - 6” STD
    Ultra Finish
    Ultra Mount

I watched the video on the leveling kit you recommended, but I can't see how it will help other than raising the front end high so when the plow is on is sags a little less...

8. cubicinches

You'll be fine with a standard duty plow and the leveling kit. That's all you'll need.

9. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Is the leveling kit mandatory?…. or can I run it with out as well.

10. cubicinches

Lift the plow without installing the leveling kit and then get back to me with your thoughts on whether the truck could use a little help with sag or not. :laughing:

11. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

I'm guessing that means you "highly" recommend it…. After looking into the kit recommended I saw on the website its not for my application " will make the front end higher than the rear" but the list the kit to use for a level stance.

Thanks for the recommendation… I appreciate the help!

12. cubicinches

The link I posted is for the 2.25" kit. That's the one I always use, but they do make a 1" kit as well. Either way, yes... I highly recommend using one of those leveling kits. You'll find that it helps out tremendously.

13. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Cool…. Thanks again for all the info…. in the morning its time to order more parts… and since I have to go through the install of it, might as well do the 2.25" from the start… If I don't like the stance I can always add blocks to the rear… THANKS!

14. cubicinches

I agree. Thumbs Up

15. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

16. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

I went with the rough country set up…. I'll let you know how it goes once the parts arrive and I can get them installed. Thanks

17. cubicinches

I've never used one... only the Ready Lift stuff. But, judging from the pics, the front upper and lower spacers look to me like they're plastic. I guess you'll find out.

18. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Kit showed up today… The rear blocks are metal, the upper coil strut spacers are metal, but the lower cold strut spaces are plastic… all hardware and bolts included… all in all looks pretty good for the price of $167 delivered.

19. Demon71

Demon71 Junior Member
    from 15136

Got the leveling kit installed… truck looks good… and my truck mounted brackets showed up for the truck as well… So before I took the time to mount them I dug out the old control harness that I took off of the 2003 truck and I can't seem to figure out how it goes on the truck. The connectors are either hiding from me or are different between the 2003 and 2009 silverado…. So do I need a new control & light harness to work with my 2009?? I've checked online and can't seem to find what I need… So I guess I need some more help

20. cubicinches

Read this thread:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=127213&highlight=HB3+H11+adapter

The part numbers you need are in that thread. They're talking about a Fisher setup, but it's the same stuff for your Western.