1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 500 Spreader...GOOD OR BAD?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by M & MD Lawn, Sep 3, 2012.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Heres the deal, I was on ebay the other day and was looking for a spreader and came across a 500, guy wanted 900 for it and the bid was low, so i bid thinking I wouldn't get it especially since he had a reserve. Well today i get an email for a second chance offer for the bid i put in at $202.00.

First question, I did a search on the 500 but really couldn't find any good answers. I only salt a few of my customers businesses and maybe a drive here and there. I wanted to know is it good for that, I wanted a BOSS spreader but having a time finding one for reasonable without buying new. Is it good for maybe this year and at least I will have one for the upcoming winter and gives me more time to look without the pressure of not having one.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance guys!

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It will work fine as long as the bagged rock salt is dry. Seems like a good price,but I would email the seller and see if it was him that sent you the second chance bid price. Sometimes those turn out to be scams. If it is legit it will treat you well and you can upgrade later on and make some money on the unit most likely.

3. M & MD Lawn

I checked...also when ebay sends the email it has the instructions on how to authenticate it. That was what I thought..i just figured id get some opinions. Thanks!

4. M & MD Lawn

Bump for opinions

5. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

I have a 500 that I use for smaller jobs and I really like it. It has a tin plate built by the spinner to better control the spread of material, and yes you do have to use dry material. The only issue that I had was after driving from one site to the next, all the material would settle and when the spreader was turned on it blew the fuse every time. The solution was to install a circuit breaker instead of a fuse and remember to give the spinner one turn by hand before turning it on

6. M & MD Lawn

Well deal fell through, guy sold it after giving me the offer ig, idk then had the nerve to get smartass when I ask him did he get my email SMH anywho....LOOKING for a tailgate spreader preferably boss any model, but Im not stuck on it, open to others

7. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I got a western flo-pro and I love it. I made a mount to insert it into my reciver so I didnt half to use the moult they had and I can run bulk salt/sand or bulk salt with no prob.