1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 4-Port module 27781

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ray450R, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ray450R

Ray450R Junior Member

Hi guys I'm new to this forum thing. I have a 2006 silverado 2500HD with a 4-port module western setup and i just bought a new truck. 2012 silverado 2500HD will my existing plow wiring work with the new truck? If not what do i need? Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

just need to double ck the headlight adaptors. probally going to need new ones for the 12.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the module would be different as well as the two harnesses that go to the lights on the truck, so you might as well go to the newer 3port module and harness. it would be a 29070-1 module and 29400-5 harness kit. should be about $300

4. Ray450R

Ray450R Junior Member

what would be the benefit going to the 3 port module than staying with the 4 port?

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

just a newer style. possibly more future compatibility next time you transfer. 4 port kit for the HB3/H11 lights would be a 28400, plus 29420 & 28027-2 adapters. At current prices that's about $340, and the 29070-1 and 29400-5 are $303, so it doesn't save you anything. but maybe if someone still has some on the shelf they might want to clearance them out cheaper.

6. Ray450R

Ray450R Junior Member

I went with the 3-port modeule. Thanks for the info guys

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I know this thread is pretty much resolved but it appears this question was never really effectively answered from a technical point of view....

As stated, the three port is a newer version but there is no real benefit over the four port that is worth spending a lot of money on when you have a four port that works. The only real difference is that the four port has a separate cable for the left and the right headlight harness. The three port system has a single Y shaped headlight harness that has one long leg and one short. Depending on where you place your module (right or left side) on the four port you can switch the long and short cable between the two plugs to get the signals to flash on the correct side on the plow. With the single plug on the three port you can't do that so they put a little two pin configuration plug in the harness so you can flip it over one way or the other to get your signals right. Other than that they are the same thing in a smaller box. So for those of you who have a four port module (and little cash to spend) and are switching vehicles don't bother to upgrade, save your money.payup

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. 00247

00247 Junior Member

Good information mishnick. I just brought home a leftover 2011 2500HD and was wondering why wouldn't the 29048 harness from my 2002 2500HD work? I brought it home in the dark and my boy robbed it to show off in school today so cut me some slack, I haven't looked yet. Can't the harness be modified at the headlights if needed?

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I am not familiar with that specific harness (29048) but no matter what headlight harness it is it certainly could be modified to make it work. After all the only real difference between the harnesses is the number of headlight lamps you have and the pin orientation. If you are good with electrical theory and have the patience to do it.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that 29048 harness kit would be the hb3/hb4, and the 2011 would be the H13 or HB3/H11 or whatever Chevy calls the new bulbs all the newer trucks use. We would use the correct harness kit instead of trying to change plugs. It would be a 29400-5. The other harness in there is also different from other trucks. It has that relay dealy on it. The correct kit should be less than $200 for the kit and save alot of time and headaches.