1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 3plug straight blade and 2 plug v wiring in one truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JRS Landscaping, Feb 19, 2012.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

Is it possible to have 2 sets of wiring in one truck? Being able to control a 3 plug straight or a mvp plus with 2 plugs? anyone do it?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a few trucks wired that way. I have battery cables and control harnesses for three plug system and multiplex system, and a lighting plug (same for both systems). I built an adapter harness to connect the four way plugs at each control harness where they go to the isolation module... Otherwise you've gotta switch the control harnesses under the hood each time you switch from one system to the other.

Others have done it, and there's threads on here about it.

I'll dig up a pic of the jumper harness I built.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Pics of the adapter harnesses I built.

har1.JPG

har2.JPG

har3.JPG

4. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

is this for a 3 plug iso? I have a 4 port iso. What number/letter port did you have to make the harness for?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You absolutly can do this, I built a truck just for testing other people's plows. We can plug in the old style MVP, the regular straight blades and the new multiplex plows including the MVP plus, the wide-out and the new multiplex straight blades like the HTS. My truck has three different control harnesses and an adapter (as shown above) only my adapter has three plugs into one for the three different plow types. Something else to consider is that you may need two power relays as some systems have a hot wire to the relay and the control completes the curcuit to ground while others have a constant ground to the relay and power to it is switched by the control.

But a simpler way to do it would be to install the wiring for the MVP and just use an adapter to make the straight blade controller work. The straight blade plug will fit into the MVP control plug at the grill but only needs three of the connections. I guess it depends on how much trouble you want to go to and what you have to start with.

The number of ports on your isolation module doesn't matter I don't think. I am pretty sure that it will work the same with both modules / systems. The only difference between the three and four port module has to do with the headlight cables. (module to headlights). Three port has only one cable while the four port has two cables going to the headlights. This has no bearing on what you want to do.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that is cool. We've never done it here. I noticed that original thread has a diagram from Fisher, but I can't find it searching for that doc #. anybody know where this diagram is on Western/Fisher/Blizzard sites?

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The only diagram I can find is in the "2011 Service Training" manual that I got on the course. It is listed as Lit. No. 49552, Rev. 00 but it doesn't come up on a search of the Western website. Page 71 of this book shows a combination Multiplex and non-multiplex system. Perhaps someone you know might have this book or someone else reading this thread might know where to find a copy to link to. I know this is not quite what you want but maybe it would give you an idea of what to do. It is very similar to what you want. The hardest thing is splicing four port plug from the headlight harness to connect to both control harnesses. There is an adapter that comes with the installation kits (headlight harness I think) that is not required with the multiplex control system so it is disgarded. I had a box full of them so I took three of them and butchered them to make my three into one adapter plug. If you know someone at your Western dealer who keeps leftovers you might be able to scrounge some of these for free. I wish I could give you a part number but none of the pictures specify a part number for that sub-item.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

thanks Mishnick. yes we are a Western distributor, and I know the adapter you are talking about. It's a 29047. btw, starting now they won't be including that in the harness kits anymore.
    I'll see if I can find a service manual with that diagram. thanks for the info!