1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 3 plug truck with 2 plug plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by elite1msmith, Apr 28, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

one thing that became apperent was the need to switch plows/trucks in the even that multiple break downs occur....

We have a few trucks and plows each Uni mount and ultra mount, I am going to purchase the addaptor to mount a unimount plow on an ultra mount truck, how ever the trucks that are ultra mount are 3 plug set up, and the uni mount plows are 2 plugs...

Can i just plug in the two that fit, will the plow function? is this simply a lighting plug? If i really need to i can create an electrial addaptor to make it work but cost would be around $200. or more, which is a lot for a part that you hope never to use?

any info would be great.... thanks

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

They deffinately do not go together. I am not sure if Western makes an adapter. You could probably make on, but just to get the ends would be pricey, unless you had some old crap laying around. I do know one thing mainly different, is the 3 plug system (isolation module) uses on pin for grounding with the plow. This completes the circuit for the both the plow and lights. The 2 plug (relay style) would only ground the circuit for the lights. I'll get back with you if I can think of anything better.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your best as well as simplest option is to change the 2 plug Uni's over to the three plug setup, as there are no factory "adapters" for this application.

You'll need to change the plow side wiring harness's but it would be plug and play, and allow you to use the Uni with any of your three plugs trucks.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey guys thanks for the addvice, cant change the plugs,,,,6 plows = way too expensive, like i said, i was thinking i could just make an addaptor, this option will only be nessasary in an emergancy situation, like a broken truck, with a useable plow, and a broken plw on a useable truck...... i am buying alot of used plows, unimounts mostly price is right, even with new parts and paint its still 2-3,000 less than buying new plows...so i dont see the unimount going away any time soon for me.....but if i buy a brand new truck , it getts a brand new plow...of course i say all this now , but the wide out looks cool, and im sure that wll create a whole new mess of problems ...

hey again., i dont care about making the lights work.....iv driven before with out them in a pinch.....im just consernded with the bare movement and function of the plow....so if its just a grounding pin, can i make a jumper wire from the pump assembly to the neg, on the truck and plug the set that does match up in?

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If all you need are the control functions then you could make a short adapter harness to go from the three pin plug on the truck (which would be the control plug) to the 9 pin on the Unimount plow side. You could purchase two Western plug repair ends and use them as you adapter. Just need to connect the correct wires together between the plugs.