1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 2500 Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dodge Plow Pwr, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I just bought the new Western 2500 spreader Thursday and used it this weekend. In MY opinion I think it is rather cheaply built compared to my 1000 series I just replace with the 2500. The mount will not get the spinner area more than a foot off the ground with the adjustable hitch they supply at the highest setting. I will have to fab something as if I back up (this sits lower than the 1000 so you cannot see any of it when you back up) and hit a curb this will smash the bottom spinner area as it sits that low. It seems to wobble around no matter where I run my straps to. Again, just MY opinion, but I feel this model should have been built more stout since it is supposed to be a step up... I beg to differ.:realmad:

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Swing mount.

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

This spreader is night and day different than the 1000 and 2000 models. No way you could hook a swing mount up to it as there is hardly ANY steel to this spreader. I aam seriously considering taking it back and just bite the bullet for an in-bed spreader.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

An I was planing on trading my 1000 for one!....Good info to know!

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Also what state are you in?

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Illinois,
    I bought it because it has gates to stop the salt flow while trvaeling from one place to the other. I was going to sell my 1000 BUT think I will wait a week or so to see if I like the new 2500 first. Right now? No I do not like it.

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Ok, I decided to call the dealer I bought the new spreader from to let them know that I wanted to return the spreader for many reasons, it doesn't hold as much salt as my 1000 does. The 1000 holds 7 bags of rock salt and the 2500 only holds 6 bags. These are #80 bags, The thing hardly has any metal to it at all and when full and strapped to the truck wobbles like crazy, so it is VERY cheaply built.(Looks like something from China) The hitch design is weak to say the least on how it hooks together and cannot adjust to the height I would desire for my truck. So, I have run 3 bags through this spreader and he says I cannot return it to them as it is now used!!!! What is he supposed to do with it as he cannot sell it as new now that I used it. He suggested I call Western direct and gave me a number to call, I did and had to leave a message. WE WILL SEE HOW LONG THAT TAKES for a return call if I ever get one.
    In my book, I would NEVER reccomend this spreader to anyone as it is NOT worth the money I spent to "Step up" in models. I feel ripped off so far, we'll see what Western says.
    I will repost then, so for now I guess I will hold onto my 1000 incase they step up and take this back. Also, nowhere at the dealer does it say no returns on items.:realmad:

8. Thoth7475

Thoth7475 Junior Member

I would tell the dealer to take his "used item" claim & shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Illinois has VERY lenient "Defective Product" laws that can be applied to just about anything. If the dealer refuses to accept your return, I would remind him of this & that it is much cheaper to take back your one spreader then pay for everything you will be entitled to if you seek legal representation. Too many companies try to bully customers, but if you let them know you've done your research & are willing to fight, they will usually back down.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  9. Dodge Plow Pwr

Update

I just got off the phone with Western people. Told them my concerns and problems with the spreader and how much it really doesn't hold capacity wise. Told them I wanted to return it and about the Illinois defective laws. He said it really doesn't meet the defective criteria as it works. My problems then would lie as to with the capacity false statements, the wobble it has to it and the lack of adjustment to raise the spreader to the desired height for use. I told him that to me this model was cheaply built and had I seen it out in the field prior to me purchasing it I would have NEVER bought it as to me it is a step in the wrong direction. He said he wished I had seen it too before the purchase. I said you still have the chance to make it right. He said everyone he needs to talk to is out of the office till Monday and he would call me back next week. Let's just say I am not going to take this lying down. I have many friends who are lawyers and one way or another this problem will be rectified.
    Again, just MY opinion, be wary of this "New and Improved" spreader model. What ever happened to customer satisfaction guaranteed???:angry::angry:

10. Thoth7475

Thoth7475 Junior Member

The next time you talk to him, let him know that the Illinois law on the display of license plates states it's illegal to block the plate & if you do, you have to have an alternative visable location to mount it. The 2500 & the 1000 cover all visable locations on the rear of the truck & offer no such location. If you do not modify the product, the vehicle is in violation of Illinois law...doesn't get much more defective then that.

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Funny thing you should mention that today of all days. I was just asked that about 10 minutes ago about not being able to see my bacck plate and that it was illegal. Funny how they never said anything about it with the 1000 for the past 8 years, they said because it was wobbleing soo much it drew their attention to the back of the truck... Funny...............:dizzy:

12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Ill trade you a new salt dog spreader for your western. I love mine(2500) and it works great, but that dam saltdog is junk.

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Well ... I can see many of the opinions here.

When you run the straps any where but under the bumper the unit is very wobbly. So if the straps are hooked under the bumper then the unit sits too far away from the bed and makes it very hard to load - very hard.

At full height it's true you still can not see the unit - in my opinion I like the fact it is out of sight. I also understand that that is bad because of hitting things ( see pic - I put a reflective marker on the unit ).

The gates are not thought out. There is no specific adjustment on them and thus you either put too much or too little salt out unless you spend hours figuring the flow rate and gate settings - that is horrible. Another thing I hate is that in the spinner is a collar where the salt funnels through - if this gets wet the salt cakes and you had better have a right angle tool that can be jammed in to break it up - stupid!

I've put around 160 bags through it already - that's 8,000 pounds at 9 bags a fill ( I'm too nervous of putting more in as the unit is wobbly. The unit works otherwise But, I agree it's way over priced for the quality. It's built like a $300 unit and didn't even come greased. I don't think this is much different than any other brand though.

My thought is the manufacturers think were are making a killing on applying salt and thus feel they deserve some extra profit so they jack the price on these crappy built salters ( not just western though I think it is industry wide )

general.JPG

14. Dodge Plow Pwr

I agree with you on most of your statement. I first ran the straps to under the bumper as I have for the past 8 years with my 1000 series and it pulled the unit down at a huge angle and still wobbled since the C channel that the hitch piece hooks to cannot be tightened to get rid of the play. I then tried running the straps up over the tail gate to the top of the bed slots, to me that is too much pressure on the tail gate and I am afraid if I fill it with salt it will put all that weight on the top of the tail gate and bend it.
    You stated you put in 9 bags in the hopper, is that 50# bags? I am using 80# bags and can only fit in 6 where as in the 1000 series that Western says is smaller I can fit in 7 with no problems. In my opinion this is an inferior product and I would not ever recommend it to anyone. I await word from Western as to what they plan on doing with this situation.
    I think that they have taken a step back wards with this 2500 line and wish they would stand behind the quality of this product and make this right.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

15. scottL

Yes 50# bags. Like I said I think the whole industry who supplies salters is ripping the consumer off. But ... what can you do. Clients want salt, to get the gig you need to be able to salt. Vboxes are not always practical. It stinks, I feel we all paid too much for the quality, etc. But, I don't think anyone unit is really better than the next.

Like I said you have valid points - keep on them.

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

How much are those 2500's $$ wise?

I love my 1000. As much driving as I do I went with a swing mount though so it is held pretty sturdy.

17. scottL

Installed, variable controller about $1,800.

18. Thoth7475

Thoth7475 Junior Member

Do we have the same western 1000? I feel like the bar is going to give every time I open it, there should be an actual hinge that supports a fully loaded spreader for this kind of money.

We just bought a 1000 & I wish I would have done more physical research before buying it. You can't tell how cheap they are off pics on the net or checking out the ones driving around. Plus, the damn thing violates the law when you put it on...and if you check the warranty, altering the product can void the warranty.

So far it's worked ok, but it's not like there's been any real snow yet & I've had minor issues each time.The way I'm looking at it, after I rebuild all the things that suck, it will still be less then 2 grand, but damn it hurts spending the first 1700 for a plastic bin, motor, wire harness & variable speed switch. Not to mention my time for rebuilding this, but I'll let that one slide because I can always use some justifiable garage time away from the wife during the summer.

19. Dodge Plow Pwr

$1985.00 out the door cash and carry with variable speed controller. Not installed.
    Willing to sell mine for $1800 and willing to possible meet you half way if you live near me.
    I bought it last Thursday 12/4/08.

20. Dodge Plow Pwr

I LOVE MY 1000!! I was going to sell it but now will keep it and take a loss on the 2500. I guess it must be a difference in oppinion as to what people like. Someone one here loves their 2500, I guess it's just not for me.