1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 10pin Handheld Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BJH Snow, Jan 16, 2011.

1. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have a western handheld 10 pin for my vee plow and looking for some help. I just hooked up the vee plow to my truck and wen to turn on the handheld and it will not power up. I connected the red wire from the harness to my fuse panel and have tried my cig lighter for a 12v power source. I have checked the fuses on Iso and they are good.

Any suggestions on what I can do to verify that my controller works or if I have a wiring issue?

Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

And the plow is hooked to the truck.....right?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Disconnect the controller and check pin #8 for power and pin #9 for ground using a test light with the ignition on and the plow connected. If you have no power there check for it at the Iso on the red and red/yellow wires in port #1 (assuming this is a 4 port) next. Both should have power with the ignition on.

If it has no ground check the grill plug connections paying special attention to pin #2 and #7. Those two complete the ground circuit back to the controller when the plug is connected.

If it has both power and ground disassemble the controller and check for blown fuses.

4. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

B and B,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have the plow connected to the truck and hooked up.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you done what B&B ask you to do?

While your at the grill plug connector, make sure it is nice and clean and making good connection.. Don't forget to use dielectric grease...

Repo,
    Do you think anyone would forget to hook up the plow before they use the controller :)

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

If they JUST installed the wiring and were looking to test it out...yup, I sure do.

7. twinman326

I know you have, that why I mention it.........

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhh, I'm lost at your wording bud. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean though.

9. twinman326

Aww very simple, there was a thread on here. A guy almost had the same problem.You ask him the same question about the plow being hook up..Come to find out he never had the plow hook to the truck........

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahh, yeah that's happened a few time huh. Silly people. I recall one storm last year that I had hooked up, but for the life of me couldn't get the control to light up......after about 10 minutes and several trips in and out of the truck, I realized I had the wrong controller in my hand! I had the multiplex and then my straight blade fish stick both on the column......duhhh.

11. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have done some checking as still no luck. I don't wasn't able to get the test light to light up on pin 8 and 9, and also didn't get it at the iso (4 port). I tried it with a multimeter also and got nothing.

As I started looking around, I thought I would use a multimeter and start at the battery verifying that everything had power around the motor and out to the plow. My battery tested out fine, my positive from the motor relay to battery tested out fine.

So I then checked my plug (other red wire from the motor relay) and negative from the truck and found I had no power going to the plow.

I disconnected the red wire (from the plug) off of the motor relay and touched it to the battery red and I was able to get power to the plow. As I touched the plug red wire to the positive post the plow pump turned on and the right wing came in from the straight position. Is there a chance that my motor relay is bad and needs to be replaced? Are you supposed to be able to read 12 volts on both (+) posts on the relay when the truck is running and plow is hooked up? Or does the relay only activate when the handheld is turned on?

I guess I am a little lost on what to do. I have checked the fuses in the handheld and they are good (not blown)

12. twinman326

Here something you can try
    motorrelaytesssst.jpg

It sounds like a bad relay..

motorrelaytesssst.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with the motor relay so forget about that.

If you don't even have power on the red wire at pin C in port 1 at the Iso then that wire isn't getting power from the truck, so you need to start there. It needs connected to a battery source that only has power with the ignition on.

14. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

twinman326,

I just tried the test as you sent me (thanks) I performed step one and used a jumper between the secondary terminals and the motor runs. Step 2, I tested for 12v on the brown green wire (primary terminal) and got nothing.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

I was just about to say, you need to start with your controler issue first....the power harness to the plow is 2nd stage. First thing is first.

You need to refresh and see what B&B posted anyway.

16. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

B & B and Twinman,

Thanks so much for your help. In the process of checking the red wire off of the control harness I found that my splice was bad and the wires were not touching which means no power. I just replaced the splice and everything works as it should.

Again,
    Thanks for your help.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We are your easy button. :D :waving:

18. twinman326

glad all three (two were the main) of us help you resolve your problem...

safe plowing

Good job, B&B, and Repo...Have a beer on me :drinkup:...Thumbs up guy Thumbs Up

19. twinman326

Were the button.........I don't see one :dizzy: