1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000 spreader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RNRlandscapes, Oct 4, 2014.

1. RNRlandscapes

RNRlandscapes Junior Member

Hi, has anyone used the western 1000 tailgate spreader from snowplowsplus.com that comes with the wireless transmitter that plugs into your 7 prong trailer plug? I like the option of so easily switching from truck to truck but can't find any user reviews or opinions. Below is link to product:

Any thoughts or opinions would be great. Thanks!
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Seeing as you posted 3 times on this I'll chime in with my .02
    You plug it in to the 7 pin, so it's supposed to get power off it. Which if I remember you have to wire in under the hood. Some of the power wires are to small. The ground is usually right behind the hitch on the frame and rusts out. So you would loose power right there. And the 7 pin is not water tight, water + salt = gremlins.
    Wireless does seem ok, what happens when you loose, drop, or spill something on the clicker and it shorts out? Can you "hotwire" the Salter to run?
  3. RNRlandscapes

RNRlandscapes Junior Member

Thanks for your thoughts! I didn't have any luck in the western section of the forum so I thought I would try the commercial section.

I was concerned with how the spreader could possibly run off the small gauge wire, and low amps, the 7pin puts out. Sounds like I may be better off with a "wired" spreader. Looking at western, boss, and snow ex.