1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000 Spreader Shaft Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Big Daddy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

I have a 5 yr. old spreader that this is the 3rd shaft and auger in this thing... The dealer today not only replaced it, but when I asked for the old one.. cut the shaft in two... Personally, this thing has been a headache from day one.. Anyone else had problems with this particular model? Thanks.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Have had 2 Western 1000 salters since 2004 and loved em both. 1st one is why I bought the second. I keep it greased every use and have never had any issue at all except when they changed to a new auger and I replaced it with the old style one.

I use it heavy to not just a few bags here and there. Most salt runs it uses 2 skids on average. 32 skids last season alone.

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info. I have had the auger replaced twice in this thing. I appreciate the feedback.. perhaps it is just bad luck... I will say one thing.. since this last repair/replacement, it is running better then it ever has...So, perhaps we have the problem solved! Good to know then.. we are looking to buy another as we added a 2nd truck this season... and I was questioning the Western! Thank you for you reply.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

spreaders require a lot of tlc. grease it often and spray lube also.:nod: