1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000 Salt Spreader Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hambrick & Co., Oct 2, 2011.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i'm not sure where else to post this, but i'm looking to run a remote grease line for my western 1000 salt spreader motor. The current grease fitting is located under the motor housing and its a pain in the ass to take the housing off just to grease. I want to add a remote line so that I can avoiding taking the housing cover off. The problem is that I have no clue how to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

I can't remember what size the hole is for the fitting in the bearing is.
    But either way you can just buy yourself one of the 12' flexible grease gun hoses.
    Adapt one end if needed to fit the hole on the bearing housing.
    For the other end use an 1/8 pipe coupler and a 1/8 grease fitting.
    Route the hose where you need it to go and grease away....

:rolleyes: John...

3. Hambrick & Co.

Thanks! I will try that. How do I seal the hose going through the housing?

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

You could just seal it up with some silicone sealer.
    :rolleyes: John...

5. Hambrick & Co.

Thanks John

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

At my shop we run remote grease lines several meters from a zerk panel to as many as 9 different points. We remove the original zerks and the lines just thread into their place. They are usually 1/8" pipe threads. On the other end we install what we call a bulkhead fitting. It is basicly a piece of pipe about an inch long with machine threads & nuts on the outside and 1/8" pipe threads on both ends inside. The bulkhead goes through a plate and is secured with the two nuts on the outside, then we thread the other end of the remote grease line into one end and a normal zerk into the other end. We have the lines made to length at a place called Green Line. http://www.greenlinehose.com/ They look like 1/4" black synflex hose (big truck air line) but it is much thicker walled. If you cut this line you would see that there is only about a 1/16" hole in the centre and the walls are very thick. Remember that a hand held grease gun can produce very high pressure when the bearing is plugged up. If you only need a foot long hose you could just use a replacement grease gun hose. Just don't try using normal synflex because it is only good up to a little over 100 Psi,

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011