1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western 1000 salt spreader broken???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by coreyco, Dec 13, 2010.

1. coreyco

coreyco Junior Member

I have a western 1000 spreader, i replaced the moter, all the berings, all the bolts are tight, the belt is NOT slipping, and i have 12v at the moter, it runns fine with out salt in it, with salt in it jambs right away, it worked fine last year what is going one here!!!!
  2. sammy77

sammy77 Junior Member

Is the shaft possibly bent? If you are sure the motor is good, make sure it's turning at a normal speed and not being bound up by anything.
  3. beezil

beezil Junior Member
    from chicago

I think I know what it might be!

Had a similar problem with the same unit.

motor good, belt good, everything good.....

load up some nice dry salt, and the damn thing gets stuck right away....

so here's what it ended up being:

loose auger set screw.

The screw loosened up and what happens is, when the motor spins, the auger twists itself up out of the "throat" and into the "bucket" where it gets instantly jammed with salt. You want to adjust the auger portion so that it resides in the throat, and not any higher. Get some locktite for that set screw, and go from there.

I hope this is your problem because its easy enough to fix. post back when you get up and running again. I pulled my hair out for days trying to get my 1000 back running again.

good luck brother,

4. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

I did a search and found this , and hoping thats what ails my 1000. It jams over and over and I have noticed the rock salt is much coarser from supplyer this year and have been blaming them. But supposedly no other complaints of jamming. I am fit to be tied after my 648th trip to the back of truck hand spinn until it "seems" to loosen up , then the only way it spreads is "blasting". Just three hrs west of the windy so we have been slammed. I`m 1 man show subbed out and NEED that speader specially this week. Who can drop ship Western spreader parts anyone ??? Central.... J Thomas
  5. shotn222

shotn222 Junior Member

I bit the bullet this year and bought this unit new also ... Same issues. Load it up with dry rock salt, and immediately jammed. Im not as worried about being in and out of the truck (although it would be nice to flip a switch and put salt down) Ive been shoveling and it really makes me look like an amateur and afraid this will impact my contracts. I had a 15 year old fisher pro cast last year that finally met its demise to rust, and god i so wish i had it back. This western, with a load just jams ... Hopefully it is the set screw, I will check this afternoon... I would imagine Western would have corrected this issue, since this post is almost 5 years. But for $2500.00, I would expect I could get some salt down. I couldve bought a used v spreader in great condition for this...NOT Happy
  6. snowplows1

snowplows1 Junior Member

Hey all, These units are for bagged salt only. It is only a 1/3hp motor. Also have to make sure you are getting a full 12 volts to the motor or you will have issues. Before I use my unit I go back and spin the spinner left and right before I start to make sure the auger is not compacted. Of course keeping the bearings greased especially the bottom one is also very important. I have had a Model 500 for over 6 years now. Same motor and I use it everytime it snows. I converted mine back then to wireless from Snowplows Plus, best thing I ever did. Now I can transfer it from truck to truck in about 2 minutes. It plugs into the 7 prong plug. Only downside is you know how trailer plugs can get sometimes with the salt and all.:mechanic::mechanic: